Will a 4-8-4 Loco run on 18 inch radius track?

Started by macsgreg, December 01, 2009, 09:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsgreg

I'm wondering if a 4-8-4 loco (DCC-Equipped Niagara 4-8-4 & Tender with Operating Headlight, product #50302) will run well on an 18-inch radius track? I have a layout with 2 loops. Inside loop is 18 inch radius track. Outside loop is 22-inch. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jhanecker2

4-8-4 s are too long to run well on 18" radius track   22" is the absolute minimum and larger is definitely better   John II.

ebtbob

macsgreg,

I agree,  18 inch radius is very, very tight for a long wheelbased engine like a 4-8-4.   It is my experience,  both personal and from hearing from people in the trainstore where I work,  that whenever a manufacturer says the minimum radius is 18,  22,  whatever,  add 2 inches onto that number to be safe.   So....18 inch minimum becomes 20 and so on.
      In the newest edition of Model Railroad News is a review of the Broadway NYC L-4b Mohawk,  a 4-8-2.    Here is part of the review,  "All drivers are flanged and the axles are sprung with some lateral motion available,  too,  so maneuvering the 15 inch long engine and tender duo through the 22 inch radius curves on our test layout wasn't an issue in the least.  However the trailing truck had a tendency to derail when the engine was traveling in the reverse through these tight curves."
       Note,  22 inch radius was noted to be tight and this engine only has two trailing wheels,  not four.   So.....using this review as a reference,  I would follow jhanecker2's advise and stick with the 22 inch radius and forget the 18 inch.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

macsgreg

thanks everyone! I figured as much. Never hurts to ask. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I need a bigger train board!

lmackattack

John
Good minds think alike.  I agree that with any med-large steam or 6 axel diesel engine you should take the MFG suggested min radius and add 2" to their statement. This is a good rule of thumb for any large loco. Im my experince a 4-8-4 will grind around 18" but only "X" many times untill it derails. they are just not happy on 18". However I think small driver wheeled engines such as a 2-8-0, 2-6-0, 0-6-0 etc... can safely be used at the suggested 18". I think the MFGs try to make there large engines get around tight 18" so that the guy with the 4X8 can enjoy them also.

ABC

Quote from: lmackattack on December 01, 2009, 11:38:36 AM
In my experience a 4-8-4 will grind around 18" but only "X" many times until it derails. they are just not happy on 18". However I think small driver wheeled engines such as a 2-8-0, 2-6-0, 0-6-0 etc... can safely be used at the suggested 18". I think the MFGs try to make there large engines get around tight 18" so that the guy with the 4X8 can enjoy them also.
Not all 4-8-4's can even "grind" around 18" radius some other manufacturers' 4-8-4s cannot even rest all its wheels on 18" radius track let alone run on it without derailing. And its hard to enjoy an engine if it falls on the floor off of your 4x8 table, that's why you don't run them on 18" radius, it is just asking for trouble down the road.

Joe Satnik

Dear macsgreg,

Old table tennis (ping-pong) tables make nice 5' x 9' train boards. (Two 4-1/2' x 5' pieces.) 

They're usually found in newspaper classified "thrifties" for pretty cheap.

I suppose you could check Craig's list, too.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.