News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large scale, gauge 1, 4-6-0 loco

Started by steamloco, November 29, 2009, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamloco

Bach Man,

I just picked up a used Bachman 4-6-0 loco and tender in the North Star Express Line. It is a maroon color with black and silver trim.  It runs and has Sound (chuff).      Bachman-China is stamped on the bottom of the loco, with no other identifiers.  There is a compartment in the back of the tender for a 9 volt battery, to power the sound.  I would like to know approximately when this loco was built, and, if a manual is available for it. Also, does this loco have smoke, and what is the scale?

Thanks for your help.

Steamloco

Loco Bill

Hi, It was part of set No90018.  It was made from 1993 to 1995 and had either a version 2 or version 3 chassis.  It does have smoke, the switch is behind the smokebox front which swings open.  Do not turn it on without fluid as it will burn out the smoke unit.   There was a comic book style  manual in the set.  Once you find the smoke switch you pretty much know almost everything youm really need to know.  Periodically lube all the moving parts with light oil and don't pull more than two or three cars, and you should be fine.  The version 2&3 chassis were prone to frequent failure of the gears.

Have fun with your new find!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

tac

Quote from: steamloco on November 29, 2009, 10:13:31 PM
Bach Man,

I just picked up a used Bachman 4-6-0 loco and tender in the North Star Express Line. It is a maroon color with black and silver trim.  It runs and has Sound (chuff).      Bachman-China is stamped on the bottom of the loco, with no other identifiers.  There is a compartment in the back of the tender for a 9 volt battery, to power the sound.  I would like to know approximately when this loco was built, and, if a manual is available for it. Also, does this loco have smoke, and what is the scale?

Thanks for your help.

Steamloco

Sir, please note for future reference that your loco is not gauge 1, but 1/22.5

Gauge 1 is made to a scale of 1/32nd.

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Wade Colyer

Hi All:

Ah, the old scale vs. gauge problem. In 1891 Marklin set the track gauges as gauge 1=45mm, gauge 2=51mm, gauge 3 =64mm, gauge 4 = 72mm and gauge 5 =117mm ( they measured gauge from rail center to rail center so these figures are 3mm smaller then what they used). O gauge came later at 32mm as houses got smaller and less room for trains. S,OO,HO,TT,N and Z came later.

I model in 1/2" scale as the narrow gauge railroads in my county were 42" gauge: Gauge 1=45mm=1 3/4", 1 3/4 X 24 = 42".

Wade