News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scenery Question

Started by Michael, December 03, 2009, 02:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Anyone know if FOAM CORE BOARD is suitable for model railroad scenery?   I am planning to use it as a base for my layout and use some for my mountains. 

ABC

I think so, a good number of people use it for their layouts.

mabloodhound

If you are talking about the thin 'foam core' board used for signs/artists then it is not sufficient for the base.   You need the 1 1/2" to 2" thick insulating sheets sold by the big box stores.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Michael

Do you know where I can find the insulation foam and do you know how much it costs?

Terry Toenges

Check places like Lowe's, Home Depot, or building supply stores. If you live in a Northern state, it's easier to find than if you live in a Southern state.
Feel like a Mogul.

rick1127

I am/was planning on using Rigid Insulatoin boards from Home Depot.  The 2" thick 2ftX8ft board looks like a winner.  This will allow me to dig down (for culverts and roads) as well as a possible grade increase for the track.
Rick Cohoon
Cape Cod MA.
Rick.Cohoon@comcast.net

CNE Runner

Michael - I use foamcore (the sign/artist variety) for numerous purposes (structures, building bases, transfer tables); having said that, I would not recommend foamcore for a layout base on anything but a micro-layout. As was suggested above, Styrofoam is the material of choice. If you live south of the Mason-Dixon Line, 2" Styrofoam sheets are difficult to find. This isn't a problem as one can stack two 1" thick sheets for the same strength/effect. Styrofoam will require considerable support. I suggest you check the Model Railroader (Kalmbach Publishing) website for a book on benchwork construction.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jward

to expand on what ray said in his post above, many use the 2" foam for layouts. you'll probably want to put a sheet of plywood underneath for support and protection, and i'd also protect the edges with wood as well.

somewhere on this site, i don't have the exact link handy, is a series of photos detailing the construction of a foam base layout by the bach man himself.  perhaps somebody could supply the link?

woodland scenics sells layout kits based on foam board and risers.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

Artist foam core board will curl and or shrink if you get one side wet with paint or while glueing down scenery on a large area. Unfurtunately I learned this the hardway.

NM

Michael

Thanks everyone!   I called up Home Depot near my mom's house.   They have the insulation board, so when I go home I will pick up some board there!   Thanks for all the tips!

mabloodhound

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

THB-DAVE

Make sure you get the Extruded Polystyrene Rigid Insulation, its either pink or blue and not the compressed styrofoam board. Its not strong enough and does not cut well. To glue the polystyrene use PL 300 glue also found at Homedepot.

Dave

Michael

It doesn;t cut well?   Could it be cut into a 4X6 instead of a 4X8?

THB-DAVE

The compressed styrofoam board does not cut well, it is composed of styrofoam beads and it crumbles. The Polystyrene cuts great.

Dave

Terry Toenges

Michael - I agree with Dave. Stay away from the white "bead board".
You will end up with little white styrofoam beads everywhere. I speak from experience.
Feel like a Mogul.