News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which came 1st

Started by mudhen, December 06, 2009, 09:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

So which did come 1st , the D&RGW Flying Rio Grande Logo, or the Moffat, ( toilet Seat Logo ) I think I know but would just like to hear from you Historians. and have my facts put straight.
And I am still looking for more pictures of the pipe trains.
Thanks in advance;  :0)

altterrain

The egg!

or was it the chicken?

-Brian   ;)
President of

Steve Stockham

The earliest date by photographic evidence I have of the Moffat Herald design in use is 1924. The last year it was seen in use was 1942. The earliest that the Flying Rio Grande logo was seen was 1940 so there was an overlap of three years that I have photographic evidence of. Hope this helps.

az2rail

The moffat herald goes back to 1887. I believe the Flying Rio Grande did not appear until 1937.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

glennk28

Several variations of the "toilet sest" herald came even  before the "Moffat" verson.  The "Flying RG" came into use around the late 1930's or very early 40's.  gj

Steve Stockham

The point being that the "Flying Rio Grande" wasn't until the 40's and beyond while the "Moffat Hearald" design was earlier! There was a transition period where both were being used of a few years.

jebouck

The "flying Grande" was the result of a new logo contest put out by upper mgmt of the Grande. The winning result was entered by an office girl at HQ.

Dave

This is all very grand stuff but what is it that you guys are on about. I live in New Zealand and would really like to see some pics so that I can follow what it is that you are discussing.
                             Regards
                                    Dave

Chuck N

Dave:

Go to the Ghost Depot site:

http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/

Click on rolling stock and work your way down through the tree to box cars you will see pictures of cars with the "Flying Rio Grande" and the "Moffit Shield" (aka toilet seat).  Once you see them it should be obvious which is which.

I think if you go to the Bachmann catalog and look up the K-27 you will find some with each of the logos.  I thought of this after I started typing this note, so I can't go and check now with out starting this over.

Chuck

Chuck N

Dave:

I just checked the catalog and both letterings are represented on the Ks. The Flying Rio Grande just says Rio Grande.  The Moffit logo version has the toilet seat and the words Denver Rio Grande and Western.

Chuck

Dave

Thanks for the info Chuck. I can now see what the thread was about. New Zealand Railways did'nt go in for displaying the Loco's and rolling stock. No competition. All they had was a class no on the Pilot and Coaches and Rolling stock had the class no on the Chassis at either end.

Cheers

Dave

Chuck N

Here in North America there were many different railroads and all were privately owned (until AMTRAK).  Most of the railroads interchanged cars so it became necessary to label and number the cars.  This way they could keep track of what went where and who to charge for moving another company's car on your track.

There was little interchange between narrow gauge railroads, but they put logos on their cars as well.

Chuck