News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lessons from my first layout.

Started by NWsteam, December 06, 2009, 04:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Now that it is about mid way through construction I am glad my first layout was small. Really it was a test site for all the ideas I have gleaned from magazines, the forum, online, and my local hobby shop.

It's an 8ft by 5ft 6in table that stands only 30 inches of the ground. This is because when not in use, it is folded up against the wall in my basement. It has an outside 22in radius loop and an inside 18in radius loop. There are 2 turnouts connecting the loops, one in the back and one in the front. The front one goes over a crossover and on a half loop to finally connect with the inner loop. I also have on siding. As it has taken several years to build I can see were my boyish and inexperienced younger self (I started building when I was 15 or maybe 16. I am now 20.) made some mistakes way back in the planning stage.

- A 4% grade is really intense.

- I wanted to run the big steam of the prototype (N&W) but I wasn't aware of the radius factor until after the track had been set.

- Watching trains go around in circles gets really boring really quick. Especially when the steam I like to watch has trouble making it around the outer loop.

- Plaster gets stressed under normal conditions; now try moving it around every time you want to get on the layout to work/operate.

I have started to turn this layout into a logging layout ever since I went to Cass and fell in love with the shay. I still buy N&W equipment for the day when I have my own place to build a new layout. I think I will add more operation opportunities on my next layout. I also plan to have hidden reverse loops on both ends of the layout. That way, when I want to sit back and watch/have company over I can do just that. The plaster getting stressed is really not too bad, it just needs a little maintenance every once in awhile.
Now on to the positives I have learned...

-Scratch building buildings is a blast and I plan to do a lot more of it.

- I love turning images of how it looks in my head into a 3D picture in front of me.

- There is never a "right way" to do things.

- Some ways do work better than others though.  :)

- This hobby has got to be the friendliest out there. Everybody is always willing to listen to problems and give advice.

This is defiantly a condensed list. I just wanted to share for those that are in a rough spot. So even if things don't seem to be working out, you are learning lessons for future projects.

jonathan

NW,

Congratulations on your learning experience.  Just as a perspective, consider this.  I started my first real layout when I was 45.  I only have so many years left to get it right (still plenty I hope).  I envy your position.  Imagine the expertise and craftmanship you'll have when you're my age!

Curiosity has got me wondering about your layout.  If you have 8' X 5.5' on top of the benchwork, why 18 and 22-inch radii?  Just trying to picture your layout in my head.  Gotta photo to share?

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Nw - I can understand about the Cass bug biting. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

NWsteam

Jonathan- I will post pictures asap.

Terry- It's bad!

-Brad

pdlethbridge

Lookin' good in the neighborhood!  If you have room, cut the table in half to 4' x 5' and add a 1' or 2' wide shelf between each half. Like a dog bone. with a loop at each end. The yards could be in the middle. You could also double the mainline by making a folded dog bone and have the tracks as a double main line.

jonathan

Very good.  I get it now.  You weren't kidding about extreme grades!  Your transition from the inside to the outside loop is clever (crossing).  I never would have thought of something like that.  I also like that you didn't fall into the spagetti bowl trap.  Believe me, it's hard to stay away from.

Regards,

Jonathan