News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hinged Layouts

Started by The Great Destroyer, April 19, 2007, 02:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Destroyer

Is there a good way to hinge a layout so it will fold in half to store when not in use?Or would it be easier to make it in sections for storage?
"That moble suit is too much for any one man to handle,if he could,he would be superior to the entire human race."

ebtnut

You can consider using what is called a "piano hinge".  This is a long (3 feet or more hinge) that provides more stability than a couple of regular door hinges.  Consider, though, how heavy the layout will be in one piece if you need to move it.  It might be easier on your back to do it in sections. 

Seasaltchap

Very clever !!!

What about the height of the layout scene?

Any other folds that make sense?

I think, not a good idea.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

ebtnut

Well, you would hinge the layout underneath, so that the undersides fold back against themselves.  This does still present the problem of leaving the "finished" portions exposed to damage during moves.  Another reason bolted sections are probably a better solution.

jsmvmd

Not having done this, but thinking about it...

Why couldn't you make a small layout, say 4x8, like an open suitcase, so when it was folded, the sides would come together and protect the insides?

Of course, it would have to be a relatively flat layout.  My next project will be in sections bolted together, waiting for the day it has to be moved.

Best, Jack

RAM

I saw one that I think they used two 4 by 8 sheets of plywood.  One was attached to the wall.
Then they took 1 by 4s and attached them to the edges so you ended up with a box on the wall
about 3 inches deep.  Then the other sheet of plywood was attached so that it would fold up into
the box.  You could put pictures or something on it to look at when it was folded up.

Mike

Why not make a 12"  or so shelf layout with a piano hindge along the front edge. When you are finished running trains, just park them on the track on the shelf, and then you can fold the layout up. The only limitation is that the layout portion adjacent to the hindge has to be free of structures and anything higher than a low rail. When you open the shelf down, place a leg under each edge of the layout board (or the leg can be hindged to the bottom of the board). -Mike