News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale White Christmas set

Started by TheShark30, December 09, 2009, 08:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheShark30

Hello.  I am relatively new to the hobby of model trains.  Recently I purchased the Bachmann White Christmas N scale set.  After setting it up today and running the train, I noticed that on slower speeds, the engine is extremely choppy, and sometimes unresponsive.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Also, the headlight on the engine does not light up, and I believe it is supposed to.  Thank you in advance for any responses.

brokemoto

These things need break in time, especially this one.  To break in the locomotive, put it onto the track without cars.  Start by running it forward at a reasonable speed.  It may be a bit fast for the prototype, but remember , you are breaking it in.  DO NOT put it at full throttle, just give it enough power so that it will run consistently.  Let it run a few laps in forward.  Stop the locomotive, change direction, let it run in reverse for a few laps.  Stop the locomotive, change direction, let it run forward for a few laps.  Repeat the forward and back.  As the locomotive breaks in, you will see that it is running faster.  Scale back the throttle, so that it keeps a reasonable speed.  Once the thing has gotten over its stiffness, change both speed and direction.

With most locomotives, this does not require that much time, but with this one, if you want it to run its best, you must spend quite a bit of time doing this.  For Christmas purposes, it might only require thirty minutes, or so.  If you want this thing to run its best, spend the time on it.

TheShark30

Wow, thank you for the timely response!  ;D

I will definitly take my time on this, I would love it to run it's best.  I hear it helps to use a pencil eraser on the tracks as well?

brokemoto

I do not know that a pencil eraser is the best idea. 

You would want to buy something called, colloquially, a 'track eraser'.  It goes by several names, such as 'Brite boy'.  In most forms, it resembles, in shape, the big pink eraser that you had in elementary school.  The differences are that is has abrasives in it and that it is usually brown in color.  The LL is yellow, and does not have as much abrasive as the others.  I prefer the one with the abrasives.

DO NOT use sandpaper or a file for this, buy the track eraser.  Your FLHS should have them and they are not expensive.  The Walthers catalogue has several, but since the shipping charge is rather stiff, you might want to order something else with it.  If WKW has the B-mann SPECTRUM 2-8-0 in Southern Railway Virginia Green, try that, its color certainly fits the Christmas season.  A word about WKW, though:  its prices, even on sale, are pretty high compared to what you can get elsewhere.

James in FL

New track is not clean track.

Wet a cotton cloth with alcohol (I prefer 91% Isopropyl) and wipe the railhead until no black stuff is seen on the cloth.
Also clean the wheels (all of them on both the loco and all rolling stock) with the same alcohol but on a Q Tip instead of the cloth.
This will help to improve contact.
I don't like abrasive cleaners, I prefer to polish (burnish) the rail head instead.

The 91% will remove paint so be careful.

The 0-6-0 does not have a factory installed headlight.

Check lubrication after about +/- 24 hours run time.

It's a great little loco after it's broken in well.

Good Luck.