News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoked Daylight

Started by Emster, July 09, 2010, 07:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emster

One day I was backing up my old GS-4 (as seen in the 1991 catalog) with my 250 ton crane on the back when the crane derailed and pulled the engine off the layout and onto the cement floor.  :( I quickly picked it up and put it in the track to test it, and it ran. I then put the loose parts back on (front of smoke box and trailing wheels), hooked up the tender, and tried to run it. Nothing happened until after a second it started to smoke. I cut the power and then tried it again. Smoke. I then put it away because I don't know what to do to fix it if it can be fixed. Does anyone know what I should do?
    Emster

Tylerf

Does it have a decoder in it? I know they can release smoke when fried by I'm pretty sure simple dc locos can't. If it is you just need a new decoder and be sure you find the point where it shorted.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Emster on July 09, 2010, 07:06:25 PM
... I then put the loose parts back on (front of smoke box and trailing wheels), hooked up the tender, and tried to run it.

If your locomotive quit only after you put the trailing wheels and tender back on, then one or the other could be the culprit.  Take off the tender and try running your locomotive.  If it now runs, the problem is in the tender.  If not, then take off the trailing wheels and try again.  Leading and trailing wheels often have to be installed with the insulated wheel on a particular side of the locomotive.  Same with tender wheels if they too are used for pickup.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Emster

The engine is standard DC, so I will try fiddling with the trailing wheels and see where it gets me. Thanks for the help.
   Emster