News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where can I buy the tracks cheap?

Started by arbasu, December 13, 2009, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

Trains shows often have things at good prices, but you may have to go really early when the dealers are setting up. Or on ebay they may have them used also.

Jim Banner

Track can be really cheap if you buy used track with no base.  If you do this, be prepared to remove the rail joiners, clean the last 1/2" or so of all the rails, and replace the rail joiners with new ones.  I mix nickel silver rails with brass ones and galvanized steel ones on my H0 layout and get away with it because I lightly (very lightly) oil the tops of the rails with a conductive oil, e.g. Labelle 108.

For the record, I am presently building an 0n30 layout using hand laid rail on hand cut ties.  When it came to choosing rail, I decided to use some of the old, used, sectional brass track that has accumulated over the years.  Atlas, Tyco, Bachmann and others - most of it probably came from train sets.  I couldn't give the stuff away - nobody wanted it.  I figured it would be a good chance to show what I have been advocating for years - using a bit of oil on the rails -  when I take the layout to train shows.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.