yuletide express running problems

Started by snowtrain, December 14, 2009, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowtrain

Hello everyone!

I have some newbie questions. Bought the Yuletide Express HO set 3 years ago. Each subsequent year I add some tracks. This year, I would say it is now about three times the size as what it was out of the box. The problem is this year, after adding the tracks, the train moves erratically at first, if at all. Then once it gets going it is quite jerky , usually in the same areas of the track. After about 10 minutes, it gets up pretty close to what I remember from last year, and relatively smooth. It doesn't move below 20% on the dial though.

So I am wondering what the problem is. Could it be that the relatively inexpensive power source that came with the kit can't handle the extra resistance of the increased size of the track? Or is my engine in need of maintenance? I've never done a thing to it in the past three years. I only have it out for Christmas so its unused for most of the year.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Johnson Bar Jeff

I'm no expert on maintenance, but perhaps a little light lubrication is in order, and maybe a wheel cleaning and a track cleaning, too? It couldn't hurt. ... Some of my engines can run a little jerky when they haven't been run for a while, but after they get warmed up a bit, they usually run OK.

An upgrade in power source would probably be a good investment, too.

ABC

It sounds like your track and loco's wheels are dirty clean those well and see what happens.

snowtrain

Thanks guys! I'll do some cleaning and let you know how i make out.