News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Standard Turnouts

Started by norfolkbear, December 16, 2009, 12:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norfolkbear

As I understand it, the "standard" remote turnout, is not a #4, #5, or a #6, rather the divergent route on the switch is 11.25 inch radius.  Using another 11.25 radius curve would then allow a parallel siding.

Questions:
1.  What would be the centerline distance between the main line and the siding?
2.  Are any of the small track pieces from the 44829 set (1 1/8, 2 1/4, and 4 1/2 inches required to align the siding?

Note:  I have tried to get the answers and numbers to my questions using the Atlas RTS program, and I want to verify the answers.

Joe, AKA Norfolk Bear

mhampton

I'm not sure of the distance between the parallel tracks, but I always understood the divergent route to be the equivalent of a full section of 19" radius curve.  A full piece of 19" curve should be all that is necessary to get a properly spaced parallel siding.

ftauss

If he is referrring to the EZ Track switches it's 11.25. I know because not 3 feet away I'm looking at it.

Quote from: mhampton on December 16, 2009, 01:24:44 PM
I'm not sure of the distance between the parallel tracks, but I always understood the divergent route to be the equivalent of a full section of 19" radius curve.  A full piece of 19" curve should be all that is necessary to get a properly spaced parallel siding.

ABC

Regardless of the answer, if at all possible use #6 or at the least #4 turnouts to avoid creating an S curve which can cause some problems, but if you can only fit/afford standard turnouts, then you should adjust what you run accordingly (ie. shorter locos and rolling stock).