News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

54" Diameter Wheels

Started by YellowHillsCentral, December 18, 2009, 09:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHillsCentral

Does anyone know where I can find me some 54" diameter 1:20.3 scale driver wheels?

Thanks
CJLM

Kevin Strong

My first thought would be someone like Don Niday (Iron Creek Shops). He does 1:20.3 standard gauge, and might be able to help. http://www.ironcreekshops.com Failing that, perhaps some of the Gauge 3 manufacturers in the UK might have something. They'd be rough castings you'd have to turn yourself. Not sure who the manufacturers are, specifically. Marc Horovitz's gauge 3 locomotive he wrote about in the most recent Garden Railways magazine used drivers from that source. You can e-contact him via the e-mail address in the magazine.

Later,

K

tac

Give David Bailey a call at - www.djbengineering.co.uk

...and tell him I sent you.

Good luck and don't fall over at the cost.  Custom-made Fn3 wheels as castings are not that cheap, but machined RTU might be trifle more that you are prepared to pay.

tac
www.ovgrs.org 

Bruce Chandler

How close do they have to be?

The Aristocraft Pacific drivers are 50" in 1:20
Bruce

tac

...and that fact could save a couple of hundred $$$, not least having to buy a lathe and learn to use it, if you don't already have one.

Them wheels could be VERY expensive.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

YellowHillsCentral

Well I am trying to model the New Zealand Railroad 4-8-4 in 36" gauge. My railroad supposedly bought one of them when they were being scrapped and converted it, so I guess the wheel size could vary just a tad.

Thanks,
CJLM

YellowHillsCentral

I think I will probably end up just getting the Mikado. But I am going to model it in 1:20.3, because after all, it was 'narrow gauge,' and I have a love for both 4-8-4s and narrow gauge. I can't hurt to mix them. (I hope)

tac

Quote from: YellowHillsCentral on December 21, 2009, 09:12:13 AM
I think I will probably end up just getting the Mikado. But I am going to model it in 1:20.3, because after all, it was 'narrow gauge,' and I have a love for both 4-8-4s and narrow gauge. I can't hurt to mix them. (I hope)

Wow!! Some model!! It's going to be over a metre long when you've done.

Are you going to use the Aristo-Craft model as a basis for this loco?

Please keep us posted on your progress.

tac
www.ovgrs.org