Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Percy arrives, found a big glitch

Started by vic, December 20, 2009, 10:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbbari

Quote from: calenelson on December 23, 2009, 10:23:04 PM
(snip)
They do indeed name the "height"....it's there in the Supplied Documentation..."Garden Railroad height" pg numbered GTC01-IS001 near center of page.... (snip)
cale

Cale - Jon noted that the description "garden" [railroad] height" (which implies some sort of "standard") was used in reference to the lowered coupler height when using the optional spacers. I was asking about the name (or "standard") used to describe the coupler height as shipped (out of the box), since it appears to not match  coupler height in other brands that use hook and loop couplers (such as LGB etc).
AL

calenelson

AL

ok-point taken

they don't necessarily call it anything specific "as shipped"...but list the extension pieces as "High Coupler Position Piece" and "Low Coupler Position Extension Piece"  from there it goes to the above mentioned Garden Railroad Height.

I can see how someone could/would ignore the enclosed paperwork, it's packaged inside the "comic book", 4 pages of addendum on what appears to be 8.5x11 white paper...haven't we all read the Big Hauler book?  I'd have not noticed or cared if I hadn't been looking for a parts diagram... :D

vic

Recieved the coupler adaptors today, already added, makes a huge difference in usability.

PS the Face-ectomy has begun, Cheif Surgeon-err Mechanic Jigsaw was disappointed how easy Percys Pilsburry Doughboy face came off, just press his face sides and it just pops right off, no need to "get medaevil" on him... :(

calenelson

Good for You Vic...
got our Thomas A&C out this evening...tried as shipped...Clarabel let go every time it came to the first Corner..(using all Bachmann track around the tree)...

switched to the "Garden Height" with provided mounts...

still WILL NOT NEGOTIATE the turn...headed out now to add some handy zip-ties to couple till we can gut him and get him outside....

total BUMMER!!!!  Like I don't have enough to do tonight before Sun-up!!!!

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

was this "anticipated"?

Merry Christmas!

NarrowMinded

Are the bumpers binding and causing the problem? Had that problem with the small scale and had to modify the bumpers

NM

Jon D. Miller

We ran Thomas for over thirty hours during our club's annual Holiday Train Show.  Had no problem with cars coming uncoupled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1HHNX10xKA

This is short video of Thomas negotiating LGB 1100 curves.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2009/11/20/thomas-the-tank-aamp-percy?blog=4

Here's a link to my GRBLOG article that covers initial experience with Thomas.  There is a second video of Thomas in action.  At no time during the show was there a problem with the hook and loop couplers.

We (the club) were well satisfied with the set throughout the show. 

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

calenelson

NM

it appears to be the hooks in the H&L fighting each other as the cars track into the curve sections...really odd.  got to be a headche for all involved yesterday, so Thomas went to the sheds...we'll give it some more attention later this week...may consider "chain" to couple the cars and remove all H&L .

cale

StanAmes

Cale

It appears from looking at various threads that some sets tend to uncouple and others do not.  It may be the tension of the hook against the loop or how level the track is.  There is a lot of movement of the hooks as you go around a curve.

In any case since I wish to use thise ourdoors on the layout, I have replaced the loop and hooks with knuckle couplers.

For a real simple replacement use the stock Bachmann couplers found on their 1:22.5 cars.  Many of us have these in our spare parts box.  On R1 curves the plastic spring that goes out from the coupler is a tad tight and it is hard to couple and prone to cause derailments on R1 curves.  I simply cut the spring off.   I can couple and uncouple on R1 curves and the cars track much better as well on R1 curves.

I put modigfied 830s on Thomas as he will see frequent work on the railroad as a switcher.

Hope that helps

Stan Ames

calenelson

*Roy Rogers* stands in for the Fat Controller, inspecting track and couplers....