News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann vs Tyco

Started by lakedon, December 22, 2009, 12:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakedon

I have an old tyco train set and recently purchased a Bachmann set is their anyway to modify the couplers to work together

Thanks

ABC

Yes you can switch your Bachmann cars to x2f (hornhook) couplers easily by just interchanging the couplers or more difficult would be to change your Tyco cars, but if you changed the trucks to remove the truck mounted coupler, and then you could mount a Kadee coupler on the body of the car.

RAM

The best thing is to change the x2f couplers to kadee.  The x2f couplers are history.

pdlethbridge

the simplest way would be to convert one coupler on 1 car.

full maxx

Quote from: pdlethbridge on December 22, 2009, 02:53:52 PM
I got a lot of 10 rolling stock for little man and they appear to have the horn style and I was thinking about just changing 1 so it would hook up to the tender
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

pdlethbridge

at least that way you can get something running until you can change all couplers

full maxx

not even having any experience in model rr yet I feel like I would choose the metal knuckle couplers , cause the extra set of track I got came with the uncoupling magnet with the brakeman ... can't wait to try it out
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jayo

I suggest giving them IHC's magic mate or Tyco's Dual couplers, because they are compatible with both horn hooks and knuckle couplers.

ABC

I have those on a couple of my IHC locos and I do not like them one bit, I still like Kadees best.

jward

i would strongly advise against using magic mates. yes, they will couple to both knuckle types and horn hooks, but they have an irritatiing tendency to come unsoupled easily. any slack in the train will cause them to uncouple. take a long train down a grade, and your train comes apart. hit a section of dirty track and your locomotive hesitates, you've left most of your train behind.

the conversion car idea, with different couplers on each end, is the most practical and reliable solution.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

full maxx

Quote from: pdlethbridge on December 22, 2009, 02:53:52 PM
I have done this on one of the rolling stock I have and it works great with no problem so I can still haul the passenger cars that came with the set (knuckle couplers) and all the rolling stock that I got separate from the set w/horn hook style couplers ...best solution