Recomende mim. 18" or 22" radius curves ?????

Started by ftapc989, December 23, 2009, 02:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftapc989

Bachmann Sprctrum Mt 4-8-2 w/tender (84203) will it work on 18" radius curves ????????????

ABC

It may run on the 18" radius curves but the tender or first car behind the tender may derail. I had difficulty with my heavy mountain on 18" curves, I'd play it safe and go with 22" radius. If you can fit 22" radius, then go with that because usually the larger the radius the less derailments you will have even with less than perfect trackwork.

lmackattack

IMHO 22" is the min. Mine will make it thru 18" curves but it grinds through and slows down from the tight radius. It likes the 22" alot better and rarely will derails on the 22".

sparkyjay31

Bigger is ALWAYS better.  18" is really a minimum on any layout. 
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

ABC

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on December 23, 2009, 05:53:08 PM18" is really a minimum on any layout. 
So are you implying that anything would run fine on 18" radius including this loco? I am not really sure what you are saying here and having a feeling your response will not help. Or are you just saying nobody uses anything smaller than 18", which isn't the case some people modeling old-time steam (with no cars greater than 40') may use 15" radius.

jward

what he is saying is that the smaller the radius the more likely it won't work well. just because you can get a locomotive to run on a specific radius doesn't mean you should. maybe you could get a docksider and ore jennies to work on 15" radius or less, but that doesn't mean they won't look and operate better on a larger radius. curves smaller than 18" should only be used if you lack space for something larger. even then, if that's all the space you have maybe you should seriously consider N scale.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

Bottom Line.........with the 4-8-2......22 in radius for a minimum.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Terry Toenges

If it runs OK on a particular radius and looks OK to you, then that's all that counts.
These other folks aren't going to be running YOUR layout, so it doesn't matter what they think looks good.
Feel like a Mogul.

bobwrgt

I have several 4-8-2 Heavy and Light mountains that all run fine on 18in radius. You need good track work. Sectional track smooth and level. You will have to adjust the wires between the engine and tender for a good position and then they will work fine.

Bob