News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Controller/Track/Turnouts

Started by wwidup, December 25, 2009, 10:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwidup

We recently had our DCC repaired.  Santa brought 2 DCC turnouts with new engines and ramp set.  Built the track with turnouts and ramps.  My husband programmed one of the turnouts.  After completion of programming the stop LED light and the number 1 LED light started flashing repeatedly.  Could not get them to stop so my husband unplugged them.  When he plugged them back in, the controller had an electrical smell to it.  It was not hot or even warm.  We have switched out the turnouts with the manual turnouts, we have tried to get the analog cotroller to work.  We have switched out both power packs, both track cables, and both pieces of track that you can connect the power cables to.. still nothing but a very sad little 9 year old.  Please help. :'(

If needed, I can take a picture of layout and send or attach.

ABC

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is.

wwidup

At this point, the problem is that no controllers (the DCC or the analog) will work on the track.  I checked back as to when we sent the DCC in to be repaired.  It was on the 10th of October.  We have tried with the above steps to figure out what exactly is wrong but are at a loss as even where to troubleshoot.

pipefitter

Quote from: wwidup on December 25, 2009, 11:52:17 PM
At this point, the problem is that no controllers (the DCC or the analog) will work on the track ...

When you say that the neither controller will work on the track, do you mean that no trains will run on the track with either controller? If that's the case, can you make a loop of track with no turnouts (I'm not sure what you mean by ramps) or extra stuff. Just straight and curved track pieces. Then hook up just the analog controller to the track and try one loco.

Do you have a voltmeter? If you do you can see if there is power to the track when you turn on and operate a controller.
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

wwidup

I used straight track pieces to check new engines.  None will work with the DCC controller.  All will work the the analog controller.  The turnouts were removed from the figure 8 to leave a basic figure 8.  We have elevated pyramids to cross over the track.  Analog will work; although on most engines, it seems to surge when going down the elevation part of the track.

So through this troubleshooting, I have determined the new dcc controller is not working.  I am not sure about the new turnouts.  My husband did get a voltmeter for Christmas.  I have read on various posts about creating a complete circuit/not creating a short.  I am not sure how to test that we are putting the track together correctly.  The original attempt with the turnouts had one coming out each of the loops and connecting outside the figure 8.  I have NO knowledge of electric trains (wooden Thomas and Lionel's are a piece of cake:).  As a mom with a little 9 year old that is obsessed with trains since he was 2, I am trying to figure it all out.  Any knowledged you share is golden to me.  Thanks for your input. 

pipefitter

Quote from: wwidup on December 27, 2009, 04:39:38 PM
I used straight track pieces to check new engines.  None will work with the DCC controller.  All will work the the analog controller. ...So through this troubleshooting, I have determined the new dcc controller is not working. 

Well that sure narrows it down. The analog controller, the locos and the track are OK. And now I know what you mean by ramps.

Quote... The original attempt with the turnouts had one coming out each of the loops and connecting outside the figure 8 ...

That would be a short circuit if it were DC (direct current) which comes from the analog controller, and would not work. So that is a problem. (Editor won't let me type further).

pipefitter

Quote from: wwidup on December 27, 2009, 04:39:38 PM... The original attempt with the turnouts had one coming out each of the loops and connecting outside the figure 8.

(Continued) With DC from an analog controller, one rail is positive and the other is negative. Connect them together and that is a short circuit. Imagine a circle where the outside rail is positive and the inside is negative (or visa versa). Imagine the positive is red color and the negative is black. Now with a figure 8 one loop is red on the outside and black inside. If you continue those colors to the other loop, however the colors are reversed with black on the outside. Connect the loops together with turnouts and you're connecting red to black which is a short circuit.

It's possible that a short circuit damaged your DCC controller. Robert

pipefitter

Quote from: wwidup on December 25, 2009, 10:58:23 AM... After completion of programming the stop LED light and the number 1 LED light started flashing repeatedly.  Could not get them to stop so my husband unplugged them.  When he plugged them back in, the controller had an electrical smell to it ...

Sorry to be writing too much here. But I just found this:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand.php?ezpage=4#overload
Do E-Z Command systems have fuses?

wwidup

Not sure about the fuses on the DCC.  We did talk with Bachmann and are sending controller back, again.  They also suggested power supply maybe the issue.

Jim Banner

The E-Z Command contains circuitry to protect it from short circuits.  All command stations and dc power packs have to have this protection because short circuits are so common with model railroads.  But if the protection circuitry fails, there is usually a backup system to protect you and your house.  In the case of the E-Z Command, this ultimate protection is a fuse inside the power supply for the command station.  This fuse can also blow if you accidentally unplug or plug in the cord from the power supply to the E-Z Command while the power supply is plugged in.  This is the reason for the warning to plug the cord into the back of the E-Z Command before plugging the power supply into the wall.  You can check the output of the power supply using you meter.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.