WHISTLE/BELL ONLY IN NEUTRAL

Started by ford, December 27, 2009, 01:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford

Both Williams engines perform whistle/bell in neutral with 1VDC, but not in forward and reverse using ZW and K-line whistle controller because the Volt ohm meter registers .5 VDC!  This 1/2 VDC is adequate for Lionel and MTH , but not enough for the Williams.  How can I provide more VDC or adjust the engines to sound with less?

Thanks,

Cliff

Joe Satnik

IIRC, the K-Line whistle-horn/bell controller is only for certain K-Line locos, and will not work with others. 

I have gutted a K-Line box and installed the electronics shown in the following Classic Toy Trains article:

Build a better sound activation button
Classic Toy Trains, November 1998 page 104
Upgrade your transformer with this simple-to-build device
( ELECTRONICS, SOUND, "ZOLLO, JOHN", CTT )

It works quite well.  The push button switch in the original K-Line controller is two pole (DPDT momentary).

Zollo's plans call for only a single pole button, so I wired across both poles to double the switch's current carrying capabilities.

I also ran a wire into my Lionel 1033 transformer's boost winding, which takes the place of the second transformer shown in the article. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ford

Joe,

Thanks for the input.  I have read past threads about the whistle controller issue and noted the CTT article.  I do not access to this Nov 1998 issue.  Would you be able to scan it and send to cliffgreen@cox.net?

I have also have a Lionel 5906 whistle controller, but the wires are about 20 gauge and I have 14 gauge to the tracks.  Can this be rewired, if I can figure out how to take it apart?

Thanks

ford

Joe,

I did not receive the scan.

Cliff

ford

Joe,

No email of any type!

cliffgreen@cox.net

Cliff

Joe Satnik

Go to photobucket.com, search on the word joebarb, then "click here to see user's profile".

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ford

Joe Satnik

Cliff,

I found another CTT bell button article (Oct. 2006) in the mrmag index, will try to track down a hard copy. 

In the mean time, I'm going to clean out my "did you get my email" posts.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The "Build a Better Bell Button" article by Dennis Eichenberg (CTT 10-06 p.66) shows a limited modification of the 5906 controller. 

He tie wraps the whole controller to keep the push button pressed.   Then he solders in a round push button (Normally closed, momentary SPST) suitable for panel mount, bridging the black and red wires with the new switch.  This "moves" the push button off the controller, onto the mounting panel. 

Sounds good, but I wonder if he just wanted to get rid of a bad internal (to the 5906) switch mechanism, using the newer (external) button for a better connection when the whistle is not in use.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik