News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Ready Plug

Started by conradin, April 23, 2007, 03:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I am new to model trains, let alone something as complicated as DCC..
So I opened up one of my DCC Ready Train D8-40C, found the location of the Main PCB.  Then I see that the pins are listed in this order:
(7)654218 from left to right.' (light motor power light motor power)

It seems to me that all the decoders using a NEM651 plug, the plug order is 158462 in Bachmann's instruction. (motor motor power power light light).

I wonder if this is a design oversight, or is it just me miscounting because I am new to the hobby.   

Should I wire the decoder using soldering, or should I make a plug and wire the plug according to the PCB layout?

Finally, what should I do with #7 (light common, blue)?  Should I just leave it the way it is..unplugged?

Thanx

Hunt

What you see is not a plug or a socket, thus not for NEM651 plug or any other plug. They are holes/solder pads to which you will solder the decoder’s wires. Match the wire from the decoder to its correct numbered solder point. Thus solder the lamp common wire to #7 on the PCB.

Part of the info in this link should help http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,1182.0.html

You may need to remove the capacitors from the PCB, depends on the decoder you install. Check with the decoder’s manufacturer about removing the capacitors.

conradin

What type of solder do you use?  We tried, but it seemed that our solder does not work (the type we used are for jewelry).

Hunt

conradin.
Did not see your question, it was called to my attention, as I usually don’t read a thread after I reply.

PREMIUM SOLDER
.031 Diameter
63% Tin 37% Lead - No Clean Flux

However 60% Tin 40% Lead-Rosin Core maybe easier to find and is cheaper. But still get the premium type available in the brand.

Use a 25 watt soldering iron (not a soldering gun or torch) with small or pencil tip.

When it comes to proper electronic soldering and soldering as used in model railroading in general lots of things are just as important as the type of solder. Look for websites with good information on How To and what is needed.

r0bert

this is a link to a decoder install  thread I recenty did for a bachmann steam loco with solder pads, the actual decoder soldering section is the same for your loco
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,1182.0.html