News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some Newbie questions

Started by Joe323, January 01, 2010, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I have reading and on occasion posting to this board for awhile now and have some questions.

1) what type of oils do you use to lubricate your locos?  I have 5 in service.

2) could someone educate me about turnouts I here you talk about #5 #6 turnouts please explain what the numbers mean? 

jonathan

Joe,

I use Hob-e-Lube gear oil, just a drop on the worm gear is plenty.  I use conductalube on wheel bearings and drive rods on steamers.  Again, a little goes a long way.  Sometimes I just hold the applicator needle close to a bearing and just think about the oil.  That's all it needs... OK bad joke, but you get the idea. Just a tiny, tiny, drop please.

Think of turnouts this way.  If you have a #4 turnout, it takes four inches of forward movement to move the train one inch away from the straight track--a #6 is 6 inches to move one inch away.  I'm not very good at descriptions, but hopefully you get it.  I have found, through experience, a #6 turnout is the most reliable for most applications.  Opinions vary.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Jonathan

pdlethbridge

Make sure you only use plastic compatible oils and greases Do not use petroleum based like wd 40 or vasoline. These, in time, will destroy the engine

ebtbob

Joe,

Let me give you another perspective in respects to turnouts.   If you have the room,  use the #6s wherever possible.   The #6 turnout has a more gentle curve on its curved or divergent section.   #6s are great for crossing from one track to another on your mainline tracks.   #4s can be used in yards etc.   It all depends on the room that you have.   
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

CNE Runner

Joe, sometimes a picture is worth a lot of verbage. Go to the website below and choose the code track you are interested in. Most of today's modelers use either Code 83 or 75 (Code 100 is used primarily on Class 1 mainline tracks). OK, after you have chosen the code, make (and print) a template of a #5, #6, and possibly one larger numbered turnout. When you lay these templates, on a table, you will see how much 'real estate' is taken up by each type. I should mention that these turnouts are for Peco track products.
As was mentioned by etbob, you will have less 'tracking' trouble with larger turnouts. Or, putting it another way, use the largest turnout your space will allow. Generally speaking smaller turnouts (#4, #5) are used in yard applications where locomotives are smaller and speeds are low.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Joe323

John CME Thank you I think I understand now. and will look for Hob E-lube Next time I shop

Happy New Year,

Joe

Joe Satnik

If you can't find Bachmann lubes, another good brand for plastic compatible lubes is LaBelle.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com