News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

hogwarts express

Started by Daylight4449, January 02, 2010, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

had this set but seeing as i was 9 i broke it. i am now finding the coaches and can fix them. my question is does anyone know where i might find a hogwarts loco.

hobo1

try Ebay. I dont think bachmann has them anymore.

Jhanecker2

Good Afternoon :  Regarding Availability  Bachmann no longer has the marketing rights to the Potter train sets . The only available supplier I have seen recently is Hornby in Great Britain and I don't think that they have a U.S. dealer.  You might want to ask Jim Banner if they have a Canadian Dealer. From what I saw on Hornby's Webpage their sets remind me of the cars I bought from the parent company of Trix .  The Hornsby Set appears to be DCC, that would mean that they would respond to American DCC controllers. Afraid E-bay or visiting second hand or thrift stores would be your recourse.  John II

SteamGene

You could probably use any British locomotive you want - or any steam locomotive painted scarlet that you want.  Rowlings apparetly knows next to nothing about steam locomotives and her description rests on two things - color and billowing steam.  Lots of purists point out that "Hogwarts Castle" is a County class loco, not a Castle class.  My suggestion - get an IHC light Pacific and paint it scarlet.  Problem would be the coupler between tender and coach/brake van. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jhanecker2

Steam Gene is right. She was not Knowledgeable about the type of train . How badly is your tender broken ?  If is still usable you might try either connecting it to a replacement engine ; or you might be able to salvage the rear coupler to use on a different tender , it is screwed to the back underneath by 2 screws.  I replaced the couplers on two Hogwarts tenders . One of them was converted to a "Thomas" style coupler to Pull Thomas Express Cars and the other was converted to Bachmann NEM Knuckle couplers to Pull Marklin  Harry Potter Cars : 2 Coachs & 1 Combine . These cars also required the wheelsets to be replaced with  42"diameter insulated wheels for DC use. I do have to admit that the color of the Marklin cars resembles the colors of the Hornsby set and so does the Box cover Art. J2