News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"N" scale track radius needed

Started by WFO, September 03, 2010, 11:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WFO

I just started building a layout with my grandchildren.  We started layting the track and were testing it as we go.  The 4-8-2 steam engine center wheels lift off the track as it goes around the radius.  The radius is 23 1/4".  In order to run any engine or car on the layout what is the minimum radius we can use.  Thanks

ABC

Bachmann does not make 23 1/4" radius track, so you must have incorrectly identified the radius. You may have identified the degrees. In order to run any N scale equipment you would need a radius in excess of 22" or diameter of 44", but most things can be run on 19" radius or diameter of 38".

James in FL

[

QuoteIn order to run any N scale equipment you would need a radius in excess of 22" or diameter of 44", but most things can be run on 19" radius or diameter of 38".
Hi WFO,

I do not know what the first responder is referring to concerning radius, as a matter of fact, I'm not sure he/she is sure of what he/she is talking about. I can assure you it is mis-information at best; to an old schooler like me we call it BS.

Be-ware what information you digest from the internet. This forum, no exception.

For the OP...
It is possible you have maybe mistaken curve radius for curve section degrees.
If you are using Bachmann EZ Track, on the underside, both the degrees of curvature, and the radius, will be embossed.
If not, then make a circle of the track of your using, measure from the center of the circle to the center of track (between rails) this is your radius (r=½D).

That said;
I do not own the new 4-8-2 Heavy.
I do however, own a 4-8-2 Light, several 4-8-4 Northern's, and 2 of the Spectrum "J"'s. (4-8-4) they will all negotiate 11.25r curves, although B'mann recommends 19r.
Granted, you will not be able to run more than 50smph around those radius curves.
I have rolling stock, from most all manufacturers, dating back to the early 70's; most all will negotiate 9r curves.
Some of the newer rolling stock requires a slightly larger radius (Auto-Racks. Deepwells, etc,) to pass each other on curves (passenger cars included.) however if it is a single main... no worries.

If you build your layout with a minimum of 11r curves, you'll be able to run 95%+ of anything ever produced in N scale, open it up to 16r, and you can run anything, including the Hi speed bullet trains of Europe and Asia.

If you're a steam freak, you can include the Big Boy and Challenger.

Good Luck

PS
Steam freaks are a good thing, I am one of them :)

ABC

Quote from: James in FL on September 03, 2010, 08:49:47 PM
If you build your layout with a minimum of 11r curves, you'll be able to run 95%+ of anything ever produced in N scale, open it up to 16r, and you can run anything, including the Hi speed bullet trains of Europe and Asia.
If you have cars that are 250ft like a Schnabel car you would need just over a 22" radius. So a Schnabel car is not included in anything, he asked what would be necessary so he could run anything granted the likelihood of him running a car in excess of 180ft is slim to none, it could happen, anything is possible. Realistically 19" will allow for smooth running of almost anything and looks better than a sharper radius. But your rolling stock and locos will ultimately dictate your radius 40ft cars and 4 axle diesels allow for sharper radius curves, while 6 axle diesels and larger steam and 89ft and articulated cars may require a broader radius.

skipgear

The current accepted minimum radius for N is now around 11". 9 3/4" radius track is still widely available and called for in many track plans but most modern equipment and long wheelbase steam will have trouble with it. For best appearance passenger and 89' modern cars, 14" minimum radius is reccomended.

I'm not sure what ABC is talking about either. Most people, especially someone haing troubles identifying radius issues do not even know what a Schnabel car is so that is not even a point of contention to worry about.

I have a Heavy Mountain and it runs perfectly fine on my 9 3/4 and 11"R Kato Unitrak test loops, although it looks much better on something around 14" radius.

My guess is that you forgot to remove the foam packing under the pilot and trailing truck. Either that, or you have some bad track. I have had quite a few pieces of EZ track which were under gauge and caused problems, thus the reason I don't use it for my test loop anymore.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

David Leonard

The early runs of the Light Mountain did have some problems with the traction tire driver lifting enough that it did not apply any pressure to the rails in certain circumstances. This was remedied by inserting a small strip of styrene under (looking at the loco upsidedown in a cradle) the bearng block. But that was only the first run, as I recall.

I don't know which Mountain you're referring to, but Bachmann does not specify a minimum radius. They only say things like "This locomotive performs best on E-Z Track® curves with a minimum radius of 19 inches." This is true: it does perform better on EZ track of 19" radius, but that does not mean it doesn't perform well on other brands' track of lesser radii. I have both a Light Mountain and a J, and neither has any problems with Kato 15" Unitrack. Bachmann doesn't make 15" radius EZ track, so naturally they're not going to allude to a radius smaller than their own 19" track.

I also confirm what skipgear said above: I had some problems with my J until I noticed the small piece of packing foam above the trailing truck and removed it.

WFO

Thank you all  for your input.  I was confussed on radius, I have 11.5" radius using flex track.  I will keep that and add another track on the outside loop at a 19" radius.  My grandson is running a 4-8-2 Light Mountain and I also have a Northern 4-8-4 &52' Tender.  If I understand correctly these should run on a track that has a 19" radius and is 38" center to center of the rails.  excuse me if I get the terminology messed up as we just started this hobby or obsession.  :)