News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

In a Spin Over Turntables

Started by Anubis, January 05, 2010, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

Hello all,

Having just installed a turntable (Atlas HO) on my newest On30 layout, and taking great pains to assure that the drive mechanism is hidden from view, it has just occurred to me that nearly all the pictures that I have seen of turntables over the years have not shown any form of propulsion for the decks.

Now I know that they can be motor driven, presumably by a small (steam or diesel or petrol fired) engine and adequate reduction gearing.

I also know that they can be operated via vacuum or compressed air, drawn from storage cylinders, and also, that in their simplest form, they can be man-handled by the old 'armstrong' method.

But how do I show this in O scale?  ::)

If I place a couple of likely figures manning a pair of push levers, they will look out of place when the deck is rotating, as their legs will not 'walk'. Also, if I were to reverse the direction of rotation, as one tends to do, they will look even more ridiculous.

I can fit a couple of compressed air 'tanks' and a small operating cab off to one side, I guess...........but.....I just went to a lot of trouble to cover the mechanism - in this case, it is under a shelf of overhanging rocks that make up a cliff face.

Does anyone have any great ideas?

How do you show your turntable operating under its own power, without getting into the ludicrous?

Thanks to all.
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Tim

Anubis

Many turntables were powered by compressed air from the loco being turned.

All that is required is an air line to connect to the brake line on the loco, and
a control stand to operate the air motor.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

ebtnut

Turntables were operated manually ("Armstrong"), with air (usually from the loco's air brake line) or electrically.  The electric ones can usually be spotted because they have some form of arch or bridge over the center of the table with electric wires running to it.  The motor (usually the same type of DC motor used for traditional trolley cars) was mounted under the bridge and geared to one of the support wheelsets.  These TT's normally had a small shelter for the operator and control stand.

As for air-operated TT's, I've seen at least one example where the air supplied a piston-like affair under the bridge that shoved against the radial rail support ties.  It was a reciprocating affair - one push per tie until you got the loco turned.