News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC - Train stops often

Started by yachtjim, January 08, 2010, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yachtjim

I just bought a bunch of Bachmann stuff to start my layout.  I set up an oval with a couple of EZ-Command turnouts to figure thngs out.  I have the Dynamis system, 4 GP-35 Loco's, a SW1 switcher and some rolling stock.  I am using EZ Track.  When the train is going fast (3/4 throttle or more) around the layout the train works fine and runs continuously.  When Slow it down below 3/4 throttle it will stop in random places.  Sometimes over a turnout, sometimes in a curve, etc.  The slower I go the worse it gets.  My oval only has 18" of straits on each side, so its a small oval.  Is this to be expected or is it something I can troubleshoot and fix?

ABC

It sounds like your locomotives are not making good electrical contact. It sounds like your track and locomotives need to be thoroughly cleaned with you favorite cleaning solution. Try cleaning everything, and see if that rectifies the problem. Also it is more common for a locomotive to slow down in the turns due to friction and over turnouts due to a lack of pick-up.

yachtjim

Its not slowing down, its completely stopping.  The whole track turns off.  The light on the Dynamis system starts to blink.  Its all brand new track and equipment, 3 days old. Does it need to be cleaned when new?Does it maybe need to be broken in? 

rich1998

Ok that sounds better. i would say you have something shorting the dcc if you get a blinking light on the controller.
what does the manual say bout the blinking light?

lex

full maxx

yes to cleaning and yes to breaking in ...just because a track is new does not mean it is clean it may have residue from manufacturing, and all engines need to be broken in how ever you see fit ...if its just forward 15 minutes and backwards 15 minutes ...a figure 8 would be better but not always available...others will chime in here
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Just by chance, do you have anything metallic that could be fouling the tracks causing a short, like Lexon said. Perhaps your wheel sets are causing a short.

CNE Runner

After reading these excellent suggestions, I will give you one more. Before I do so, I should also say that this path is not for the 'mechanically disadvantaged' and will require a modicum of patience.

My suggestion is to install Tomar #805 Power Pick Up Shoes to your locomotive. A number of years ago I had problems with an older Mantua locomotive and my LHS installed these shoes...'made all the difference in the world! Today I will be installing a set on each of my Monks' Island Brewery transfer tables for the same reason as the Mantua...reliable electrical transfer.

There are some tools required such as bottoming taps, small drills, and [preferably] a drill press; but the task is well within most model railroader's skill level. Check out the Tomar website at http://www.tomarindustries.com/acc.htm and see if these items meet your needs.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"