News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traditional GG1

Started by DominicMazoch, January 09, 2010, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DominicMazoch

I was thinking of getting the Lionel CC G.  But I remembered that those G's had Magetraction magnets that could cause issues with the operation of the unit.

Ma and Pa trains had one at a price I could handle, and love it.  It has more paint detail than the L version.  Pulls 5 REA refers and 5 9500 MPC PRR cars.

After oiling up and break in, ran for two hours straight on the HTOS layout.  Did not get hot!

Cobrabob8

Thanks for the info Dominic. If I buy a GG1 it will most likely be from WBB. The quality and the price of their product just can't be beat.
Cobrabob.
"Train Kept A Rollin' All Night Long.."

lennyski

I have the Williams GG1 also. It is the best pulling engine I have. No matter what I put on the track the thing doesn't even slow down, not even on inclines.

EIS

I have the Williams GG1 and I love it.  The only gripe I have with it is the pantographs.   It seems as if you just look at them cross-eyed, they pop off.  I also rewired the motors in series and it operates much better and the headlight is much brighter.

Earl

DominicMazoch

My pans do the same.  But I think that is a safety thing.  I think a Lionel pan set would fit, if you want to change them.

phillyreading

Before changing it to a Lionel pantograph check the measurements as the holes may not line up perfectly. A better solution would be to use a number 2 machine screw with nut to hold them in place, try to mount it out of sight or paint the head of the screw to match the pantograph. To use a machine screw you will need to drill a small hole in the roof of your GG-1 and through the pantograph unit.
To get a machine screw that small you may have to check out the H.O. section of your hobby shop or go to a hobby shop that sells remote control cars for that small a screw.

Lee F.