DCC/SOUND install Bachmann's new Class J (dialup warning)

Started by r0bert, April 25, 2007, 01:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0bert

Here is a how-to for a sound decoder  install on Bachmann’s new J.
If you have done a hardwire install before, you will have no trouble with this one.

Removing the tender shell  is easy two screws, and it slides off.

There are two copper jumper tabs that need to be removed.

Remove the screw(s)  holding the board, and pop the rear light leads out  of the mount, and lift the board out of the way, to remove the speaker/ pickup mount.

End chapter one.
Because the MRC decoder used has a slightly larger speaker than the mount in the tender, remove the 4 screws that hold the speaker/ pickup mount and with a sharp blade remove the speaker ring flush with the frame.
Before

After

Reinstall the pickup frame, and with a file or Dremmel, thin the inside walls of the tender frame just a bit to allow the speaker to sit flush on the bottom.

Now we’re ready to begin installation.
End chapter two

To begin the install, the speaker goes in over the grill, routing the wires to the rear of the tender, between the pickup wires, and the magnet will fit into the hole in the PC board .

I like to put the board back into place before setting decoder wires.

End chapter three
With the decoder generally in place, the wires are loomed through their respective holes to get the correct lengths.

The wires are cut to length with the decoder in place leaving a little extra for stripping and tinning.

Remove the wires from the solder pads, strip and tin the ends, and solder them in place one at a time, keeping everything neat  and separated as you go.
The speaker wires ,which are connected to the opposite end of the decoder from the harness, and run under the decoder when installed.

End chapter four
While you still have the iron hot, remove the two capacitors near the front of the PC board on the firemen’s side, you can also bypass the induction coils if you like, but I have never found it necessary.
Before

After

Align the decoder so that it, and the wires will clear the mounting lugs, slide the shell back on and replace the two screws to lock the shell down. (the long screw goes to the rear of the tender, short one next to speaker.

Test, program, and enjoy.
End chapter five

taz-of-boyds

r0bert,

Nice set of how-to photos.  I am rejoining the hobby after many years away, I have not done any dcc installs yet, but plan to as time goes by.

What sound decoder did you install?

Why did you remove the capacitors, why are they there?

For this loco, are those 6 wires that look like they are going from the tender to the engine for power, motor and headlight?  I suspect I will need to do similar things for the smaller steam loco's I will need to dcc equip.

Thanks,
Charles

r0bert

Quote from: taz-of-boyds on June 04, 2007, 12:02:37 PM
r0bert,

Nice set of how-to photos.  I am rejoining the hobby after many years away, I have not done any dcc installs yet, but plan to as time goes by.

What sound decoder did you install?
MRC Brillance N scale Steam decoder

Why did you remove the capacitors, why are they there?
The Bachmann locos have RFI supression installed ( caps and induction coils) to meet european requirements, but they can cause problems with DCC decoders, and removing them does not void the warrentee in the US.
For this loco, are those 6 wires that look like they are going from the tender to the engine for power, motor and headlight?  I suspect I will need to do similar things for the smaller steam loco's I will need to dcc equip.

Thanks,
Charles
each model of loco is different, and may require a different set up.
for locos like the Bachmann 2-8-0, 4-8-2 and 2-6-6-2, a standard decoder fits inside the loco, not the tender, but sound decoders would require a differnt approach.

Bazz

Hi Robert

The article could'nt have satisfied my problem more. Very clear and precise and put to rest any fears I might have had. I understand it perfectly and many thanks.
Regards barry

lrbusjockey

Just installed a Tsunami 750 (heavy steam) in a Bachmann Spectrum J Class 4-8-4.  Took me about 3 hours total.  I'm a novice with soldering and with DCC, so I'm a little cautious (another word for slow...lol).  It was definitely a challenge, but I am satisfied with the job.  I used the capacitor as well, so I hope that was the smart thing to do.  I have not tested it yet.....too tired now.  Will test tomorrow and post the results.

Many thanks to Robert for an excellent instructional on how to do this.  Without your awesome information in laymans language, I would have failed miserably.

Bob M

lrbusjockey,
did not see your reply with results of your Tsunami 750 heavy steam.  Also, which speaker did you use for your N scale class J?
thanks

to ALL, what is the part/model# of the MRC Brillance N scale Steam decoder mentioned earlier in thread?

Brewman

I am not sure what the MRC part number is but since this article was written there is another option that came out recently. The Soundtraxx Econami steam, it has the proper 611 whistle as an option. That is what I am planning on using.

Bob M

Brewman, thank you for the reply, I will look into that decoder which appears not to include a speaker.  I am still trying to identify the speaker manufacturer/part/model number that will fit in the tender.

Brewman

I think it is a 1/2 inch speaker, not sure without taking mine apart. Soundtraxx has those as well. If it is too big around like the one in the article, the same frame modifications would have to be done.

Bob M

Thanks again for quick reply.  I am looking at the Soundtraxx speaker but wondered if anyone else had found a better one, or could comment on quality.
thanks

kristian

Greetings! If anyone is still looking at this post, is there any chance we could get Robert to re-post the installation pictures or provide a link to where they can be viewed? instructions are great, but having the photos would be even more helpful.  Have all materials for a Soundtraxx Economai conversion with 13mm speaker and would appreciate the visual "how-to" guidance. Thank you!

ACY

Quote from: kristian on November 17, 2017, 09:07:34 AM
Greetings! If anyone is still looking at this post, is there any chance we could get Robert to re-post the installation pictures or provide a link to where they can be viewed?
I am sorry you are out of luck as Robert has not been active on this site in 3 or 4 years. I wish you the best of luck with your installation though. Sorry I cannot be of any assistance.

Piyer

O! Ye of little faith, ACY! Don't you know that once something gets posted to the internet it is virtually impossible for it to be fully removed? I don't know if I found all of the original poster's images, or what order they should be in, but hopefully this is enough to get you through the decoder installation, kristian.

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Piyer

You are very much welcome. Glad I could be of some assistance.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.