News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Survey - Part II

Started by Atlantic Central, April 25, 2007, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

As a follow up to my previous post on layout design, I have a new question.

What kind of turnout control do you use? Manual? Electric remote? Ground throws? Mechanical? Some of all/each? Central control locations? Along the layout edge? 

If you use DCC, do you use stationary decoders to control turnouts?

And most importantly, why do you use what you use? Are you happy with it? And, what if anything would you do different in the future?

When we have a few responses, I will share my thoughts and my choices.

This is truly a topic with no wrong answers or choices, but rather depends heavily on the style and goals of your layout as to which will work best.

Sheldon

pdlethbridge

caboose ground throws and atlas code 83 switch machines for those hard to get to without breaking something areas. I started this shelf layout 2 months ago, code 83 on homasote/plywood

ebtbob

Sheldon,

On my HO/HOn3 railroad  I use mostly Caboose Industries hand throws.    These are used as they are easy to install and reduces the amount of wiring and electrical components and potential problems.  I do have three Tortoise switch machines for hard to reach locations.  I like the Tortoise because it is easy to install and the directions for the electrical part easy to understand.  Two of the three are controlled by a stationary decoder.  I went with it for one simple reason,  I want to try it.   I used the Digitrax version,  sorry I cannot remember the number,  and it also was really simple to install and operate.  The third turnout is controlled via the tortoise and is controlled by a double throw,  double pole,  center off toggle switch.  Why the dpdt toggle?   Simple,  that is all I had at the time.
       On my On30 railroad  only one turnout is not controlled by Caboose Industries handthrows and that is Tortoise on one side of a wye.   The turnout will be controlled by a Tony's power reverser.   Again,  this turnout is not reachable.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Craig

I use Caboose Industries ground throws on every readily accessible turnout because they look better than anything else I've seen and they hold the points very firmly. I mount them on slabs of epoxy and weather them to my liking. I use Atlas machines on remote areas for convenience. I have no use for under table switch machines because my layout base is very thick. I'm very pleased with the looks and operation of my turnouts and I wouldn't change a thing.

lanny

I use Caboose Industries 'sprung' ground throws on all turnots. They work exceptionally well with my Atlas code 100 track and Customline turnouts. Easy to hook up, flexible and very reliable. Though they are not 'in scale', I personally don't think they 'look' bad. A little paint, scenery, etc. can do a lot to lessen their 'oversize' impact.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

brad

I use Caboose Ind. "N" scale ground throws on my HO layout with code 70 Shinohara track and turnouts. I forget the exact number for the throws but they look more "scale" and provide reliable operation. I will be using one switch machine to provide actuation and power to a remote turnout in a hard to reach spot.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Orsonroy

1) What kind of turnout control do you use?

Manual. All switches are Peco code 75 with no working ground throws (Pecos don't need them).

2) If you use DCC, do you use stationary decoders to control turnouts?

No. I want to run trains, not fiddle with a Blackberry!

3) And most importantly, why do you use what you use? Are you happy with it? And, what if anything would you do different in the future?

My layout's a double deck, relatively long and narrow shelf. I can easily reach every switch, so there's no need for any sort of electric switch machines. I went with Peco switches because they have built-in manual switch machines, removing the fiddly necessity of having to install Caboose manual throws. Because my layout's two decks, there's little room for Tortoise machines.

As for operations, my layout is designed to be worked like the real thing. I'm not modeling a CTC-controlled high speed mainline. I'm modeling a busy-ish city and a stretch of sleepy rural main. The focus for my layout is switching ops. Real local crews switch by hand, they don't push buttons nor wait for others to push them for them.

Finally, while Peco switches ARE a little more expensive, they're a whole lot cheaper than adding Tortoise switch machines, and a LOT cheaper than adding stationary DCC controllers to a Tortoise. They're also simpler and easier to install than adding a lot of generally unnecessary wiring that goes into electric switch machines. Peco switches are also more reliable than Caboose throws.

So I opted for the simplest & cheapest route for my switches. They're also the easiest to trouble shoot, as there's no need to trace wiring or  diagnose a decoder!

Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

MrMunchkin

My switches are a mix of Atlas and Peco code 100, and all are remote controled, ( I am slowly replacing the Atlas ones with Pecos) although I operate by DCC all the switches are controlled the old way, the reason I haven't gone to DCC control is that my layout is small enough that I'm  usually close enough to reach the buttons which are bunched up in two central locations, I tried having them located along the edge of the layout but didn't like it (one problem was that when I had to lean over to reach a derailed train on the far side of the layout I often bumped the button, throwing the switch) at some point I'll probably switch to DCC control of the switches (I have several stationary decoders for this purpose) but I've got  a lot of other projects to get done first.  P.M.

Atlantic Central

OK,

Here is what I am using:

Since my layout does represent a mailine that would have been CTC controlled, my mainline turnouts are powered by Tortoise machines. These turnouts controls are located on local "tower" panels in groups just like real interlocking towers of my time period (1953). They will also be controlled on a master CTC panel. This will all be done with a simple electrical circuit, no stationary decoders or computers for this part.

For each CTC turnout, or crossover, there is a single push button and two LED's to indicate its position. Push the button and it changes to the other position. There can actually be as many locations as you need or want for each turnout, but basicly I just use two. One at the local tower, one on the main CTC board.

All other turnouts, ones that would have been manual on the prototype, are contolled by my own "ground throw" which is just a subminature slide switch and a "Z" shaped wire spring. I did this for two reasons, one, I needed electrical contacts for the computerized block control and other wiring needs, and two, I wanted something that would fit between 2" track centers. Both of these requirements rulled out Caboose Ground Throws. I may have considered PECO turnouts if their code 83 line had been out when I started, but that would have posed some other challanges with my wiring system.

My ground throws do not look protoypical, BUT, they are very small and unobtrusive, and are easily operated with an uncoupling "pick". What they lack in scale details they make up for in small size.

Years ago I woud have said no to ground throws at all, but that was before the full developement of the walk around concept.

As I have expressed before, I have little or no interest in walk around for running mainline trains, thats why I will have a central panel for the main. But for switching, yards and industrial trackage, walk around is the way to go and all trackage will be within very easy reach of the layout edge.

Sounds like everyone so far has made good choices for their needs/wants. Thanks for sharing. Anyone who has more interest in my ground throw or controls, feel free to let me know and I will share the details.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

SHeldon;
For my ground throws, I always used "Caboose" N-scale throws.  I like them, and after a while, they "go away"...I am using "Tortoise" machines on mainline a nd branchline runs.  The yards will be mechanical throws.  I want to do "piano wire ' type mechanisms for the transfer (carfloat) yard.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

After reading Rich's post above,  I realized I failed to mention my homemade turnout throws.   They are a throw back to something I read in Model Railroader back in the dark ages(50s)    I simply take a piece of piano wire and bend it into an "L" shape.   The short end goes up thru the board and roadbed and is put into the hole in the center of the throw mechanism(between the points) on my Peco turnouts.   The other part of the wire goes thru a brass tube(keeps the wire from flexing during the throw process) and then thru the facia on the benchwork.   I then took push pins,  pulled out the pin,  enlarged the hole to accept the wire and ACC glued the pin handle to the wire.   A simple pull or push changes the point orientation and with the Peco turnouts' spring loaded throw arms,  the points are "locked" in place.
       The only disadvantage to this type of throw is the fact that a large belly like mine can throw a turnout if you lean in over the railroad to correct a problem.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

pdlethbridge

Bob, I've got the same problem. I've watched my weight for years and now it's out there where I can see it. ;D

paustinsmith

All of my HO standard gauge turnouts are Peco. I do not use any ground throws for any turnouts that I can reach. For the three that I cannot reach, I use Peco automatic throws. My HOn30 gauge turnouts are mostly Bemo. I use Caboose Industry N gauge sprung ground throws for these and power the frogs with  separate toggle switches. I also have three Peco HOn30 turnouts which are thrown the same way as my standard gauge Pecos.

I do not have DCC and my reasoning is the same as Mr. Orsonroy's.

Note: I have one hand layed stub switch but I have not yet figured out a satisfactory way of throwing the rails.

Peter Smith, Memphis

Paul M.

What kind of turnout control do you use? Manual? Electric remote? Ground throws? Mechanical? Some of all/each? Central control locations? Along the layout edge? 

Electric, except when the #%&*%$! E-Z track turnouts malfunction. Then they become manual/ non-working. ( see E-Z track turnout trouble or E-Z track tunout trouble II)
If you use DCC, do you use stationary decoders to control turnouts?

And most importantly, why do you use what you use? Are you happy with it? And, what if anything would you do different in the future?
I'm fairly happy with them most of the time. I'm not sure about the future, I can't think that far ahead ;)...

When we have a few responses, I will share my thoughts and my choices

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
I also bend the piano wire, but I use nylon  flex tubing.  This works well, as the surfaces are smooth.   I use a cable clamp about every 6 or 8 inches on a run,   I find that the tightness of t he clamp minimizes any lateral flexing that may occur, thus eliminating any flex "loss".

I like your idea about the push pins.  Had never thought of that.  My thought is to have all of the wires terminate at respective locations on a schematic type diagram.  The small size of the pins will certainly accommodate that.

SOmetime back in MR, there was an article on using dpst slide switches in conjunction with that arrangement.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!