Parrallel track spacing, straights and 18"-22"-24" radius curves?

Started by Acceletracker, January 13, 2010, 12:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acceletracker

Are there any "rule of thumb"s or lessons learned about how close to run parallel track so that long cars don't collide? Lets use c/l to c/l of track for reference.  ???

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Acceletracker

Thanks Joe! That is exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I need to join NMRA? Lots of real good info.  :)

Paul

Joe Satnik

Dear AT,

There are varying opinions on joining.  I'm sure there are some advantages.  Much of the info is available free on-line. 

Some consider it to be a little heavy handed as far as setting standards, e.g. NMRA vs. G1MRA.

Bachmann did a nice job following NMRA c/l to c/l spacing recommendations on the 33.25" and 35.5" Radii HO EZ-Track sectional curves.  (=2.25")

The c/l spacing of the #6 crossover is 2-3/8", again, wide enough for most curve pairs. 

Later they decided to make sectional curves in the 26"R range.  They announced 26"R and 28"R curves, (2" difference) which wouldn't have conformed to the NMRA c/l spacing guidelines.  (Look it up.) 

I alerted them to that problem, but, of course they had already made the expensive molds before the announcements.

So, they knew enough to conform for the older curves, then forgot for the newer ones.

Arrgh. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik       

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.