Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-0

Started by sd90mac, January 14, 2010, 11:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd90mac

Although I'd enjoy a N&W one just as much, I think this locomotive:
http://www.yackalot.net/dolzall/02-29-Mitchell002.jpg
would go very well with other Bachmann locomotives, like the 2-8-0 and 2-10-0.

How about it Bachman?

rogertra

Nice but sadly way too rare.  There were very few 4-8-0s built anywhere in the world.

ABC

What all railroads (in the U.S. & Canada) had a 4-8-0 besides the N&W class M?

sd90mac

More than you think.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mastodon/

I know a LOT of peope that would buy one or more likely several, myself included.

GN.2-6-8-0

Suprisingly the twelve wheelers of the Great Northern were not mentioned ,they had 5 Class's of them G1 thru G5.
When built in 1892 the GN. G1 was concidered the most powerful locomotive in the world though that title did not last very long.
And although a GN. fan I to would love to see either Bachmann or BLI produce a really nice N&W M class twelve wheeler with DCC and sound.
Below is GN. twelve wheeler 748 a G3 which I had the good fortune to be able to find in a brass import

Rocky Lives

NWsteam

I would love an N&W M. You would think it would be a no brain-er since there is still one running today in excursion service at Strasburg. Whoever produced them could letter them for N&W and Strasburg. I've also been told that the N&W leased some Mollies out to other roads. I'm really hoping for Bachmann to do it. But I and others of the NWHS have been inquiring at BLI and they seem pretty open to the project. We'll have to wait and see.

fingers and toes crossed,

Brad

Pacific Northern

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on January 15, 2010, 08:37:55 AM
Suprisingly the twelve wheelers of the Great Northern were not mentioned ,they had 5 Class's of them G1 thru G5.
When built in 1892 the GN. G1 was concidered the most powerful locomotive in the world though that title did not last very long.
And although a GN. fan I to would love to see either Bachmann or BLI produce a really nice N&W M class twelve wheeler with DCC and sound.
Below is GN. twelve wheeler 748 a G3 which I had the good fortune to be able to find in a brass import

Great Northern is mentioned. See Montana Central. A detailed list of all of the M class 4-8-0's are described.
Pacific Northern

GN.2-6-8-0

So it is.so it is.....how'd i miss that!  ;D matter of fact I was lucky enough to find one of the PFM G3s a number of years ago and one of these days hope to install  DCC and sound in it.

Rocky Lives

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on January 15, 2010, 01:02:54 AM
Nice but sadly way too rare.  There were very few 4-8-0s built anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, this is a common misconception.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mastodon/

You are not alone in thinking they were rare. Wonder why they are so overlooked?
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 15, 2010, 05:48:58 PM
You are not alone in thinking they were rare. Wonder why they are so overlooked?
Personally, I do not like the looks of the 4-8-0, maybe others share the same view.

Pacific Northern

I myself like the looks of the 4-8-0's. As my layout includes Great Northern trackage in the days of steam I would buy a few of these if they were offered. 

In one of my reference books, "Steam along the Boundary" there are a number of pictures of the GN 4-8-0's. 

The only larger engine being run shortly after the 4-8-0's came on scene was the 2-6-6-2. Now that is an engine I would not pass up should it be available at a reasonable price in plastic or diecast.
Pacific Northern

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: ABC on January 15, 2010, 05:55:29 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 15, 2010, 05:48:58 PM
Personally, I do not like the looks of the 4-8-0, maybe others share the same view.

Who said THAT!!!!!  ;)
Rocky Lives

ABC

Although, I'm not a fan of the N&W class M, I have 2 Bachmann Class Js w/ DCC, in my defense for those N&W fans, but I've got no GN locos.
Also, I have a N&W FM H16-44 and an N scale GP50.

ebtbob

If Bachmann were to produce the N&W M class,  you can count me in for two of them.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Nigel

Southern Pacific was also a big user of 4-8-0 steam locomotives.  In fact several years ago, there was an article written by Tom Dressler on converting an O scale brass SP TW into a N&W M.  It was not a major conversion.

If you check out QSI's website, you will find that they were in Strasburg a few months ago recording 475.
http://www.qsisolutions.com/news/09/recording-trip-111809.html
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955