News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-0

Started by sd90mac, January 14, 2010, 11:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Having lived in the East Kootenays and being a railroad enthusiast I have read a lot of articles on the rivalry between the CPR and the Great Northern Railroad. 

It is somewhat ironic that Mr. Hill the founder of the Great Northern, who was a Canadian was responsible for bringing the railroad into the South East region. The reason CPR brought their railway into the area was to challenge the GNR for the resources in this area.

The Great Northern railway was a major railroad in the South East portion of BC.  At the time the 4-8-0's were their largest engines, a short time later when GN acquired the L1 2-6-6-2's these were the predominate heavy freight engines.

The GN ran a number of their 4-8-0's there as there were a number of portions of 3% grade on their trackage as well as portions of the Kettle Valley on which they had running rights.

If the 4-8-0's were released in the Spectrum or Heritage lines I would buy a number of these for my layout.
Pacific Northern

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

There were three pix shown earlier here and a comment about the relocation of the headlight.   Not only was the headlight moved but the pix show two completely different headlights.   Also,  for those not aware,  and I think it was mentioned earlier,  but if not,  I will mention it,  the N&W used two different tenders behind their M class engines.   One had four axle trucks and the other had 6 axle trucks. 

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Nigel

Quote from: ebtbob on January 22, 2010, 07:49:25 PM
.....  the N&W used two different tenders behind their M class engines.   One had four axle trucks and the other had 6 axle trucks. 

Actually there were more than two different types used by the N&W behind class M locomotives (not to metion M1 and M2 classes (and subclasses)).  The N&W did ALOT of tender swapping over the years, you need to rely on dated photos for specifics.  Vern French's book on the Williamson Terminal is one of the best sources of further information. 
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

ebtbob

Nigel,

Thanks for mentioning the Williamson Terminal book.   I will be off to the book store on Monday to start my search.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org