News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale cross over

Started by Retired, January 15, 2010, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retired

I am trying to get information about the cross overs for N scale are they switched or not. The buttons I see in package lead me to believe they are.

ABC

You're just talking about one of these?

If so, the two switches included control the turnout, however, you can easily wire it so that you only throw one switch to line them up to crossover.

Retired

Retired

Do you have any idea how long these tracks are? That information is not provided no matter where I look.

ABC

You should have asked that before, I found the length online somewhere...

PetalumaLoco

For what it's worth, the AnyRail layout program says 323.9mm or 12.75".

Retired

Thanks. I am trying to build a 3X3 or 4X3 . I am not sure yet. but that size should work our great. Thanks again.

scrooge

are you running on DC or DCC

Retired

I am using D.C only for now. I do not have the space for anything larger. Some thing I have always want to do,but never had the time.

scrooge

I am also running on DC.  I presume that you will have two ovals connected by this crossover. The reason I asked is that the crossover is wired for DCC and not DC. What I had to do was to create a gap in the rail so as to isolate the two ovals with each oval having its own power input in order to run two trains at the same time. Nothing in this game is straight forward.  Apologies for complicating what seems a simple movement.

Retired

Yes I was planning to run two ovals. I did notice that the tracks do have plastic gaps in the tracks. also I was trying to figure out which to use on the out side and which to use on the inside. The pictures indicate that I need a left on the out side and a right on the inside. what I see does not make thing very clear. Thanks for the help.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

scrooge

The crossovers I have did not have breaks in the cross rail, so I had to create my own by cutting the rail so as to isolate each oval.  You will need two crossovers to complete the change from one oval to the other.  I also found that one half of one of my crossovers did not work properly and no matter what I did to get it to work without success.  What I did in the end to create a crossover was to use 2 switches with an isolator at the join. Good luck

Retired

What kind of wood did you use for the top and sides. Did you use some kind of legs. Thanks.

scrooge

I assume you mean the layout table?  I used 2" x 2" plain timber for the frame and (what we call in the UK) a sheet of 1/2" MDF (medium density fibreboard), not sure what you call this type of board in the US. I then glued a sheet of soft insulation (what we use under laminate flooring) on to the MDF.  It all seems to be fine.  Then on top of that the grass which comes on a roll.  Good luck.