News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale cross over

Started by Retired, January 15, 2010, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrooge

Have you seen the February issue of Model Railroader, it continues to show the construction of a layout table.  In the next issue (I assume March) there will be an article about laying 'click' track with built-in roadbed.

Retired

I have not seen the magizine yet. I guess I will have to look for it. I know what I want but have not taken the time for different reasons to really get started.

scrooge

If I can be of any further help when you get started please get in touch.

railer256

Quote from: scrooge on January 20, 2010, 05:13:46 PM
The crossovers I have did not have breaks in the cross rail, so I had to create my own by cutting the rail so as to isolate each oval.  You will need two crossovers to complete the change from one oval to the other.  I also found that one half of one of my crossovers did not work properly and no matter what I did to get it to work without success.  What I did in the end to create a crossover was to use 2 switches with an isolator at the join. Good luck

Could I trouble you for some information on where you made the cut?  I am looking to do the same thing so that I can use the crossovers to electrical isolate/activate the power as if it were two switches.

scrooge

No problem.  I made a cut in each of the rails on the cross i.e. in the middle between the straights.  I then filled the gap with an epoxy resin and tested with a meter to check that each section was cut through entirely.  Good luck.

Joe Satnik

Dear PetalumaLoco,

Does AnyRail indicate the centerline-to-centerline spacing of the two mains? 

I'm guessing about 1-1/4".

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

railer256

Thank you.  I have two crossovers - I did this for both of them.  One is now two separate switches - the other continues to feed power and I assume I will have to play with the foil.

I created a separate thread for this as I realized I have hijacked yours (sorry).

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?topic=12090