News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler 4-6-0 gear problem

Started by ajzend, January 17, 2010, 11:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajzend

Hi,
I'm new to G scale, but familiar with trains.  I got this Big Hauler Pennsy with 2 passenger cars.  Actually, pretty cute detail.  I'm from the world of "O".  Anyway, I'm running it along when all of a sudden it's it gets a nasty plastic stripped gear sound.  I was running it with an HO DC transformer, but it doesn't seem as though there was an electrical or motor issue.  It just sounds like bad nylon gears.  I did open it before running and it appeared to have sufficient factory grease on the gears.  though probably 15 years old.
So my question really is; is it worth fixing.  can I get gears from Bachmann or another supplier.  Is it a real big pain to fix this kind of stuff.  I can field strip any Lionel postwar.  Is this a common problem with what is probably a 1990's engine?  Would it pay to simply replace the engine.  Of copurse I'd have to pay for the tender which seems fine.  this is an effort to put together a train that I can play on the floor with my 4 year old granddaughter. (Of course, getting off the floor is another matter)
Thanks,
Alan Zend

Barry BBT

Alan,

I can probably help you, but first we'll try to determine if the loco you have is worth fixing.

The first two generations of drives were (1) battery power and the second was track power but used the same basic gears as the battery powered.  This second one is easy to identify by the sintered bronze contacts behind each flanged driver.  The third generation is the easiest to fix.  This has a good sized brass worm and a cluster gear comprised of a worm gear and a small spur gear, followed by an idler which engages the axle gear.  If this latter type is what you have
it is worth fixing because the repair will last and you can do it all yourself.

If this is at all confusing send me an email at Barrysbigtrains@earthlink .net I will send you a pic of the three latest drives
for you to select from as being your type.  If you are the third type I will also send you instructions for strapping the motor.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

altterrain

This will help to see what ten wheeler version you have -
http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#gears
Then you can call the service dept. to see if they have parts or decide to go with a BBT drive if you want to get serious.

-Brian
President of

ajzend

Hi Barry,
I sent you an email off forum.  I re-read your post, and it seems that the problem would be solved by strapping the motor.
Thanks,
Alan

ajzend

Quote from: altterrain on January 18, 2010, 01:05:18 AM
This will help to see what ten wheeler version you have -
http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html#gears
Then you can call the service dept. to see if they have parts or decide to go with a BBT drive if you want to get serious.

-Brian
Brian,
It appears that I have the 3rd generation, and true to the posted tendancy it's a gear slipper.  I noticed on your link that there was a cable tie around the motor.  Is this the fix?  What is a BBT drive?  Is it something worth while for casual use?

Also, as I mentioned to Barry off forum, I am impressed with the speedy helpfulness of this forum.  I belong to the OGR forum, and it is really nice to see this one as genuinely helpfull.
Thanks,
Alan

Jim Banner

A BBT drive is a chassis made by Barry's Big Trains especially for these locomotives.  It is sort of like putting the chassis from a Mac Truck into an Italian sports car - still looks great on the outside but inside it has the strength of a bull, ready to pull anything, anytime, anywhere and keep doing it forever.  The chassis is heavy, which gives great traction, and has the bearings, gears and motor designed to handle it.  A BBT drive is a bit expensive if you only run your train on the living room rug two or three times a year, but if the bug bites, and you start putting some track in the basement or out in the garden, then a BBT drive is a good investment.  Outdoor running, particularly with more cars than came with the train set, can be quite hard on the stock chassis in a Big Hauler, but the BBT chassis was designed with outdoor running and long trains in mind.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Barry BBT

Jim,

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Now have a new one, a motor and gearbox for the Bachmann Consolidation.  Have just started building and distributing them.  An improved drive into the best chassis in our hobby.

Barry - BBT

ajzend

I did the cable tie fix, and it's running OK so far.  How many cars can this OEM run?
Thanks,
Alan

on30gn15

From what I've seen and heard best to stay with 3 passenger cars max for the sake of longevity of factory issue gearing.

That's all I'm going to run behind mine.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Barry BBT

Jim,

In my previous reply, I didn't address your question "was the BBT drive for casual use?".  Really, no.  The drive is just too much to pay for casual use.  The BBT drives are built to be run and run often.  To serve my customers I offer a lifetime warranty on the drive (not on the customer).  Works like this, you send it to me at your expense, I fix/repair the drive.  I pay for the return.  If the damage is obvious abuse or acts of God, I may charge the customer.   The most expensive item is the Pittman Motor, currently I charge $75.00 for the replacement.  In 16 years I've only had six motors fail and none in the past ten years.  So, you see, this set up for running.  Also my last gear failure was also about ten years ago.

Barry - BBT   

andyb

Quote from: Barry BBT on January 19, 2010, 12:34:32 AM
Now have a new one, a motor and gearbox for the Bachmann Consolidation.  Have just started building and distributing them.  An improved drive into the best chassis in our hobby.

Barry - BBT

Thanks for clarifying this, Barry. Being a relative Noob I was under the impression from your website that the 2-8-0 chassis was offered as a Big Hauler 4-6-0 conversion! D'oh!

I'm in the UK - do you deal with over-the-pond customers?

regards

Andy

Barry BBT

Andy,

I am going to confuse some more.  I do make a 2-8-0 conversion for the Big Hauler and have done quite a few.

I also have just introduced a motor and gearbox upgrade for the Bachmann Consolidation (Connie).

Barry - BBT

andyb

Oh - so I was right first time, Barry!  :D never mind  ::) maybe you'll need to change your signature....

Any chance you could put some more photos on your website - or here even? I'd love to see an Annie converted to a 2-8-0...

Andy

Barry BBT

Andy,

Have lots of pics, but don't know how to load them here.

Send me an email and I'll give you whatever you are interested.

barrysbigtrains@earthlink.net

Barry - BBT

Steve Stockham

Here's a couple of shots of my Bachmann Bumble Bee 2-8-0 BBT drive Annie: