News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thinking of a layout...

Started by Alex Butner, January 20, 2010, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Butner

After thinking (and staring blankly at my Summit Pass), I thought about the time is right to start a floor layout with switches and more trains. I know that this is a Bachmann Trains forum, but will Piko trains and Aristo-Craft, and Lionel G-gauge battery trains run on my Bachmann track? I am just collecting and operating anything G-scale, including battery operated trains too. My layout is going along the lines of Northeastern USA with a twist of the 1950's and some other things. Also, how big does Bachmann's grass mat need to be for my layout? I'll need 15 feet by 13.5 feet (I think that's about it) and how many rolls is that and how can I make it look "Seamless" too? Also, this is an indoor layout, so what are so suggestions (simple) to make it better when I start? Also, do I use coarse or medium ballast? The layout will be scenicked but will NOT be elevated due to space restrictions. It will be a "U" shape hopefully (with sidings). Also, I'm going to use a Lionel G-Gauge Pennsylvania Flyer as a fun train with its add-on tracks to run while the layout is underway. Of course, it will run on the layout too, along with a G-gauge Hogwarts Express.

Joe Satnik

Dear Alex,

Most all Gauge 1 (45mm gauge) trains will run on Bachmann G Track.  Longer locos and rolling stock may not be able to negotiate R1 (about 2 ft. radius = 4 ft. diameter) curves and turnouts, which is all that Bachmann makes.

Standard Gauge 1 DC voltage is zero to 24 Vdc, but most locos approach warp speed by 18 Vdc.  Battery powered trains would ignore the track voltage and work just fine.  Avoid anything with plastic wheels, as it leaves a non-conductive residue on the tracks.   Retire any plastic rail track to display shelves.   I thought of saying that live steam loco wheels would short the rails, but that is not a consideration on an indoor layout.   

Grass mat covers 4' x 8', or 32 square feet.  Multiply 15 x 13.5 then divide by 32.  To make it seamless, sprinkle residue from the bottom of the bag onto the seams.  I'm not sure the mat is meant to be walked on.   Green carpet a better choice, perhaps? 

Others chime in, please. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.