News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 layout survey

Started by BIG BEAR, April 27, 2007, 03:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff in NJ

Here's my new 4' X 6' layout...almost completed.

It's actually 44" X 72". The base is 1 1/2" thick, 2' X 8' tongue-and-groove foam board. The mountains are built up using foam board and spray foam. The smaller hills are spray foam. It's been built in two 22" X 72" sections that can separate for transport (not that it's going anywhere).

Time period is early 1900's shortline operations, including logging, mining, general freight and passenger service.

filer

i am building a two level shelf layout in a two car garage,with a branch into the garden. thats right on30 in the garden. class one rail roading which allows me to run all my bachmann equipment,all steam with pass & freight turns. end a..the brewery,3 heljan ho kits bashed into one complex. end b the barge.. to points off the layout. end c the mine. end d the saw mill.
b,c & d are scratchbuilt with interiors where required.this is an operational switching layout. am starting to play with dcc,now it comes onboard.
there is a switchback between levels.each shelf    is 20 foot long.the branch,up to 25 feet,keep you posted. photos to come

Mark Oles

I don't quite have an On30 layout, but  I do have a double loop of HO scale track running on top of a bar in the basement that is really more of a display than a model:

I do have one On30 Trolley that gets quite a bit of use on the outer loop.  The inner loop is for running the Hornby Live steam mallard (OO scale).  I built this layout as a direct result of purchasing an HO scale New Haven I-4 Pacific last fall.  The bar was built using 2x4s, 2x6s, plywood, and some hollow core doors I found in the attic.  The railroad was rested on top of 3/8" plywood and cork roadbed.  In retrospect, better joint sections need to be made to ease transitions.  Hey, it was my first major building project, and it turned out pretty well.  The top of the bar is covered with some counter top laminate sheet.  The front of the bar has some 1/4" paneling, with molding along the edge. 

So far, I have only had one or two major mishaps with trains crashing to the floor!  I would like to get one of the new sound forneys and some low sided gon cars (for shot glass service...)

Mark

max (uk)

Blue Ridge Logging Co.

1. What is your On30 display? Mining, or logging operations, Christmas village, Mfg. ops., or a circle around Christmas tree?

Logging Operations

2 What do you have for Buildings on your layout? Scratch built, Plasticville,
Dept. 56?

I have none. I would like to have some Plasticville and scratch built buildings if i have the time.

3. What era does your layout represent? Civil war, turn of century, modern,
or let us know the exact date.

Undesided. Someware between 1910 and 1940.

4. What size and type is your layout? Shelf type , table top, walk around, 4x8, ping pong table, Etc...

Sort of a table top. I think its about 5x2.

The layout is about a mounth old now and no progeress has been made for a long time. Not to shure what i could do besides laying more track (with help of my dad).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDuuSYimHI here is a video of progress so far.

kendoitall

Max, an EXCELLENT production. Choo-choos, Johnny Cash and all... You sure you are not infected with American blood, perhaps derived from someone in your family's shady past?

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

BIG BEAR

I think I'll revive this posting in hopes of catching any new comers & any new layouts.
       I my self am starting a new Christmas village  layout. Got a late start this year, bench work still in progress, & hoping to accomplish much on this long weekend.

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

hogger

1.Mountain mining prototype, original was a "paper" railway that was incorporated but never built.

2. Select laser cut and scratch buildings & tents in O, HO, & N in forced perspective; for 2 mining "boom" towns.

3. Colorado 1877-1895, using B'mann 2-6-0s, 0-6-0 Porter Bells, and B'mann passenger and freight cars.

4. In 8' x 10' shelf in basement, soon to be in 12' x 20' shelf in room.

br549

#1.Colorado into the plains of Kansas. Logging, coal, oil, & Bison some passenger service  The what if  "Kansas & Pacific " didn't falter and was 30" narrow gauge and not standard gauge.

#2.90% scratch built ,10% laser kits.

#3. Era? mid to late 1930's depression era.

#4. 34' x 18'  L girder construction W/DCC somewhat of a "dog bone" with a 4%grade loop  winding up a mountain.  Working it's way down into somewhat of a rolling  hill's & flat lands with limestone outcroppings where the bulk of the town is being located.  Another small town is to be on the mountain's plateau.
The layout has two passes through  deep rock bluffs and 1 tunnel then  passing over itself on two scratch built wooden bridges.

max (uk)

Quote from: kendoitall on September 11, 2007, 02:19:36 PM
Max, an EXCELLENT production. Choo-choos, Johnny Cash and all... You sure you are not infected with American blood, perhaps derived from someone in your family's shady past?

Ken

Nope, im all British  :P I think it was MS Train Sim that got me into it. I had a sumter vally route were you could drive Climax No 105 into the woods with switchbacks and everything. Then for my Birthday that year i had more money than i had seen before a total of £140 instaid of presents At our local show run by the MRC i am now a member of i bought a Backmann 30 Climax and a set of log cars. Id it took of from there.

I have been into narrow gauge railways since before i was 1 year old  :D and i got into US diesels ( i have 2 GP40's and a UP F7 A+B ) so i knew this was the scale and gauge for me.

I have found the Bachmann forum very helpful at finding out that On30 was such a rare gauge as i thought it was!