Main Menu

Bachmann switchers

Started by orangeman, January 23, 2010, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Can someone please tell me the difference between these two switchers:

HO GE44 DCC Switcher

Spectrum HO GE45 DCC Switcher

Is it worth spending the extra $$ for the Spectrum? (one supplier was charging $30 more for the Spectrum)

rich1998

They are both Spectrum diesels. The 44 ton is DCC on board. I have two of those. They run very well and are awesome with sound.

The 45 ton is a little smaller. I do not have it but it is suppose to be DCC on board also. I would expect it to be a good runner also.

lex

orangeman

Yes, both are DCC.

Where is the $30 difference?

How can a 45 ton be smaller than a 44 ton?

rich1998

Do a Google search for ge 44 ton and ge 45 ton. You will get a lot of information on the history of each loco. Store the links in your Favorites folder under Spectrum Switchers.
i did that a couple years ago.

Prices depend on where you buy the loco. You did not say what sources you used for prices.

I picked up my 44 ton off of ebay for about $25.00. The 45 ton on ebay has recently been more expensive. Depends on the market and how available a loco is.

lex

ABC

The 45 ton runs smoother than the 44 ton in my opinion.

Jim Banner

How can an armor plated Mercedes out weigh a Cadillac?  Weight depends not only on size, but how they are constructed.  The 45 tonner, although heavier, is more compact.

What may be more surprising than a price difference between two locomotives is the price difference between two suppliers on the same locomotive.  One might charge full suggested retail price while the other charges only half as much.  The first might be charging 100% mark up on top of his cost while the second is only charging 10%.  They might both be making the same money, but the second guy has to sell 10 times as many locomotives to do it.  The first guy needs only one tenth the capital to buy his stock but that capital is tied up for a long time between sales.  The second guy needs much more capital, but it is tied up only for a short time.  Make that two different locomotives and supply and demand enter the equation.  The high price guy will likely go with the high demand item so that he can sell his meager stock a little quicker.  The second guy will likely go with the item with a larger supply because he can negotiate an even better bulk discount and push them out the door even faster.  This not only keeps the money flowing in but enhances his reputation as a go to place for good prices.  The best advice is to look around for the best price from a reputable dealer.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rich1998

Another question comes to mind. Is one DCC on board and the other DCC Ready?
My first 44 ton single motor was DCC ready. My second was dcc On board but I knew what I was buying in both cases.
I have seen the 45 ton in dcc ready and dcc on board.
That will also make a price difference. There are older DCC Ready out there as well as the newer DCC On Board.
There are even some two motor 44 tonners out there, usually on ebay.
Some people get caught in this as they do not know all the info about what they are buying.
lex

ABC

As far as I can tell, there are not any non-DCC equipped 45 ton switchers.

orangeman

Thanks.

All good points.

Since I am new to this I was not aware of the DCC "ready" vs "equipped".

If I remember correctly all the site said was DCC . Perhaps the price differential was indeed due to ready vs equipped. But it also said the switcher was new. I was under the impression that all new Bachmann locos were now DCC "equipped".

ABC

Quote from: orangeman on January 23, 2010, 04:38:59 PM
I was under the impression that all new Bachmann locos were now DCC "equipped".
No not all new Bachmann locos are DCC-equipped/DCC-On Board, however almost all the new Bachmann Spectrum locos have a decoder installed, but not all standard line locomotives by any means about 50% of these come DCC-equipped. Also, it is possible for the dealer to be selling "a new item that is old stock." That is an item that is still in its original box that has never been used, but was obtained not very recently, in which case you would find DCC-ready 44-ton switchers (not decoder equipped).

jward

since nobody has addressed this question from the prototype angle.....

the 45 ton represents a ww2 era industrial diesel. it has siderods like a steam locomotive.

the 44 ton represents a slightly more modern version of the same locomotive. the hoods are streamlined and the siderods are gone in favour of  a standard design diesel truck with traction motors on each axle.

why the weight difference? in the early diesel era, union contracts required a fireman on any diesel 45 tons or heavier. the 45t was evidently designed for the military where union contracts didn't apply. once the contracts were changed and the fireman requirement dropped, most railroads found the 44t to be too light for yard service and opted for larger switchers. but the 44t found a home in private industries large enough to need to move their own cars around the plant.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Prototype info about the 44 ton. I have two to model the Union Freight railroad that was in Boston MA. They usually MUed two. Many shortlines used this loco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_44-ton_switcher

Prototype 45 ton info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_45-ton_switcher

The reason for the siderods is mentioned in the link.

In the links I provided, try searching for your switcher of interest. Yes, I know wiki pedia is not always accurate but I trust much of this information.

lex

pipefitter

Quote from: lexon on January 23, 2010, 01:47:45 PM
... There are even some two motor 44 tonners out there, usually on ebay.
Some people get caught in this as they do not know all the info about what they are buying.

I have a few of the early two motor locos plus one of the 70 tonners. Split axle gears has happened to all but one. Is this the problem you're referring to Lex? On mine it happened years later even as they sat in their storage boxes on the shelf, not while in use. Originally they ran very quiet and smooth.

I note that the two motor units usually go for a premium on eBay as people prize the tiny power trucks for other kitbashing projects.
Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

rich1998

Only happened to a two motor 44 ton. Returned it for $10.00 and got a single motor with DCC on board. Not a bad deal. I had to put the two motor back to DC running as I had put a small decoder it it. Not to big a deal. I like challenges.
Time will tell now with my two single motor 44 tonners and single 70 tonner. It will be more of a challenge if those develop a cracked gear as they have a sound decoder and speaker.

Lex