News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reference Web site's

Started by lescar, January 24, 2010, 11:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescar

Can anyone suggest a few good reference sites for looking up Locomotive history by the ID #, I found one site Railpicture.net but it's more for pictures then history.  Took some pictures of two UP loco's # 3933 EMD SD70M and #2370 EMD SD60M, I found out what type they are but would like a little more back ground on them. 

Thanks  :)
Les     
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

rich1998

Below is an example for what i do. Works most of the time. Go into your IE Favorites and make up some folders to store the links. I have done that a lot.
It is a lot easier than going to your local library.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=UP+3933+EMD+SD70M&btnG=Search&cts=1264354388711&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=

lex

jward

if you are into looking up the history of various emd locomotives, try my site:
http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco

on this site i have almost the entire emd production list by serial number, and have traced many of them to where they are to-day. the list is by no means complete, but it is about as thorough a resource as you'll find online.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

lescar

Thanks everyone

I haven't had time it get to them all, but there in my favorites for further reference.  :)

Les

rich1998

Quote from: lescar on January 24, 2010, 03:08:58 PM
Thanks everyone

I haven't had time it get to them all, but there in my favorites for further reference.  :)

Les

That is a good idea. I have lost track of how many people have seen a link but did not save the link and had to go looking.
I remember the days of model railroading without the Internet. Magazines and library were all we had and thought it was great. Now it is light years ahead of what us geezers experienced.
I find more data on the Internet in one hour than ten hours at the local library and there are at least five good size libraries in my area.

lex

lescar

Been there done that, learned lesson, don't do it any more.  ;D

Les