News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Quality?

Started by StevenDC, January 23, 2010, 06:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenDC

I believe the code of conduct will permit me to vent a bit of frustration.
Last month I opened the packages for the first time of several N scale Bachmann Trolleys. When placed on the track, they hopped about and then simply froze up. Upon inspection I found split axle gears in all the trolleys. Keep in mind these were new out of box. Probably 20 years old, but never opened, never ran.

Ok, so I order 6 brand new trucks through Bachmann and attempt to install them tonight. Lo and behold, all six new trucks have split axle gears. Every truck, every axle. Now, we get to see if the Bach man wants to pull his stock and tell me that yes, I am correct, these trucks are garbage, or try to tell me that these gears are supposed to be split and are supposed to lock up the trolley and burn out the motor.

Order number 945 Mr. Bach Man, what say you?
StevenDC

ABC

I have some N scale stuff (but mostly HO) and most of it is Bachmann and I've never had any problems whatsoever, it must have been a bad batch that you got.

mhampton

Split gears on Bachmann locomotives seems to be a recurring theme on several forums.  It doesn't seem to be just one scale, either.  I have read of many instances of split gears on their On30 Shays, for example.  Bachmann will make it right for you - eventually.

ABC

Quote from: mhampton on January 23, 2010, 10:00:29 PM
Split gears on Bachmann locomotives seems to be a recurring theme on several forums.  It doesn't seem to be just one scale, either.
I've never had a split gear in any of my HO locos either.

Jim Banner

Have you had any cold weather in your area lately?  I have a theory that the gears may be splitting in transit when the weather is really cold because the shrinkage rate of plastic is ten times the shrinkage rate of the steel axle.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 23, 2010, 10:35:19 PM
Have you had any cold weather in your area lately?
I don't think many people escaped this year's winter freeze.
(added "think")-my apologies

RAM

I think lifelike also had a problem with Split gears.

StevenDC

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 23, 2010, 10:35:19 PM
Have you had any cold weather in your area lately?  I have a theory that the gears may be splitting in transit when the weather is really cold because the shrinkage rate of plastic is ten times the shrinkage rate of the steel axle.

Jim

Jim, that would mean that Bachmann's stock room must have undergone a freeze also, or during transit every gear was subjected to basically a freeze, because these six new replacement trucks were just ordered in from them. Possible? Yes. Probable? Not likely. More likely that the gears were bad from day one upon manufacture due to using inferior plastic.
Possible they froze in my storage? Not in a heated basement. However, I have just pulled out over 40 different loco's, mostly Rivarossi, Mantua, and AHM and no problem with any other engine.

ABC

Quote from: StevenDC on January 24, 2010, 11:06:19 AM
However, I have just pulled out over 40 different loco's, mostly Rivarossi, Mantua, and AHM and no problem with any other engine.
You're comparing "apples" to "oranges" when you're trying to compare your Rivarossi/AHM locos to Bachmann locos. But I think it is very possible that the parts were in extreme cold during transit because for a while there it was pretty darn cold.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: RAM on January 23, 2010, 11:15:07 PM
I think lifelike also had a problem with Split gears.

I agree with RAM. Honestly, I'm never going to buy from Proto 1000 or 2000 after my GP30, brand new out of the box, never worked. I was never planning on buying normal lifelike, but I thought the Proto series was alright. Guess I was wrong. I have the R21/R22 subway set from them, and its good, other than the pantographs not being glued in, which is very frustrating, because I've already lost one of them. I'm never buying from them again.

ABC

There were a couple of locos that had problems one being the GP-30, which they replaced the broken gears for free with a receipt and proof of being the original owner, but they now charge because somebody abused the privilege and now you must pay about $2.50. I have 2 Proto 2000 E-8's and 4 Proto 2000 PA-1's and have never had a problem with them and they replaced the broken gear in my GP-30 for free. It's not their fault that you lost the pantograph, just be more careful in the future and everything will be fine.

StevenDC

Quote from: mhampton on January 23, 2010, 10:00:29 PM
Split gears on Bachmann locomotives seems to be a recurring theme on several forums.  It doesn't seem to be just one scale, either.  I have read of many instances of split gears on their On30 Shays, for example.  Bachmann will make it right for you - eventually.

I must say I appreciate the service aspect, Bachmann just emailed that they are sending out more trucks to try. Still think they should pull stock and inspect before shipping, but hey, perhaps my business acumen is mine alone.

StevenDC

Hey Mr. Bach Man, Just an update...
You originally sent me 6 N scale Brill trolley trucks. All 12 axle gears were split causing lockup. You just sent me 12 more complete trucks to replace the defective order.
Of the 12 replacement trucks, (24 more axle gears) only two trucks (4 gears) were in operating order with no split gears. Of the remaining 20 new gears I salvaged 4 that were not split and put together 2 trucks that have not split out. We will see if they operate without splitting...
So, I have two trolleys that we hope will continue to operate. I am still short two operating trucks though I am now the owner of 14 useless trucks.
I assume you will send more trucks until I end up with six good ones?
I think you may want to consider pulling your stock, open each truck package and inspect. I guarantee you will find similar results.
I am happy with the response, and thanks for the good customer service on getting the replacement trucks out so fast, but I am not happy with the product.
Steve

lirrman

Never had axle problems with Bachmann but, as one reply indicated, have had more than a few split axle problems with Proto.  When I contacted LifeLike replacement parts were "not available".  So, I bought a bunch of Athearn axles and they worked just fine in the Protos and seem to be a much better quality.

Joe323

I have no qualms with Bachmann yet but  I have the same problem with the subway set so that is the last Proto I buy.