News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which 2-6-6-2: Spectrum or Mantua

Started by Frankv, January 23, 2010, 10:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

On a previous post I learned that a 2-6-6-2 will run fine on our 22" radius track. On the Internet I find DCC-ready Mantua 2-6-6-2 locos at 1/3 the cost of Spectrum 2-6-6-2's with DCC & sound. We are not ready to go DCC/sound for quite a while, so we don't need the extra features of the Spectrum right now. I've already gotten a glowing recommendation for the Spectum 2-6-6-2. I know this forum forbids criticism of other manufacturers, but can anyone stay within the rules and tell me of their experiences with these two models on a DC layout?  Mr. Bach-man, if I am out of line I will go quietly.

ABC

Here's what someone else had to say about the Mantua/Model Power 2-6-6-2 from a while back,
Quote"Model RR News did a review of these mid, last year. They noted the following: front & rear truck derail, engines derail. MRN stated some of this was inherited from Mantua's design. I experienced exactly the same problems. I agreed to try a fix. Turned out truck screws-OK then, but rear engine continued to derail. About that time the motor stated squealing. Lube did not help; got worse. As agreed, I returned to Model Power."
Many others have said it has a lot of problems with power pickup especially running with standard DC (Not quite sure why this is, it seems counter-intuitive).

So, if I were you I'd go with the Bachmann, and you know the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 is also available for considerably less without sound. Many stated though that after adding a high-end (expensive) DCC decoder that it showed much improvement.

Pacific Northern

I have both Spectrum and Mantua 2-6-6-2's.

The Spectrum 2-6-6-2's without sound are hard to find. They are out there if you keep looking.

The Mantua 2-6-6-2's I have are both the tank and tender versions. The Spectrum is the better runner of the two and has a lot more added details. However, I would consider the Mantua's a close second.

Both are equipped with flywheels and can motors and are upgradable to DCC should you want to add that feature later.

Both will run on 18" radius curves but would look better on larger 22" curves, but the 18" would be fine if you are under size constraints.

Note that if you do go the Mantua route double check to make sure you are getting the new "Mantua" and not older Mantua or Tyco engines.
The newest Mantua as released by Model Power have vastly improved electrical pick-ups and the drivetrain has been improved.

I have not heard any detrimental comments on the newest release. There were some issues on the older models. This engine has been around for a long time.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 23, 2010, 10:51:42 PM
Note that if you do go the Mantua route double check to make sure you are getting the new "Mantua" and not older Mantua or Tyco engines.
Actually, the new ones will probably say Model Power, but some new ones may say Mantua Metal Products.

If you like Southern Pacific, you're in luck...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mantua-2-6-6-2-Articulated-w-Tender-Southern-Pacific-HO_W0QQitemZ200431761879QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item2eaaa9f9d7
Or Unitah , Canadian Forest, and Weyerhaeuser, you're also in luck as far as the Model Power 2-6-6-2 goes, they run for $99.99 plus $12.95 s&h on ebay.

Here's a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 for $225...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRUM-HO-2-6-6-2-DCC-TSUNAMI-SOUND-TRAIN-C-0-84802_W0QQitemZ350303293197QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item518fb40f0d

Here's the full list of the Bachmann 2-6-6-2's on ebay...
http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Bachmann-/19132/i.html?_nkw=2-6-6-2&_catref=1&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Nigel

Frank; as has been noted, you will most likely have far less trouble with the Spectrum model.

Over the last 25+ years, I have had no complaints with Trainworld for my HO trains:
http://www.trainworldonline.com/catalog/category/detail.php?id=6021&find_section=642

I am focused on the N&W, and thus sold the Mantua 2-6-6-2 that I had several years ago - pre Model Power.  Based on the review above, the old ones were better.  That said, it was very sensitive to track conditions, any sort of vertical bump would cause it to derail.  On perfectly flat track, it ran very well.  The design of the Spectrum model is more flexible, and it will follow track imperfections much better without derailing.  Given that you are involved in the hobby with your grandson, I would suggest that the fewer derailments the better.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Frankv

Thanks, guys, for the tremendously helpful advice. I am always slightly in awe of the camaraderie among model railroad people. My little conductor, who is very sensible for a just-turned-six year old, has agreed that we should patiently watch for a good running Spectrum 2-6-6-2 without sound. Then we can spend the money we save on something else, like a second 2-8-0! I'm afraid you serious modelers would be appalled by our layout: Thomas, HO, and ON30 all running around helter skelter. And, a 60 foot tall Sir Topham Hat standing proudly next to the tiny HO figures on the station platform!