Helpful Benchwork Video/Article

Started by CNE Runner, January 24, 2010, 11:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

Judging for many of the past threads and posts, a fair number of forum 'attendees' are either building layouts or contemplating layout construction. Today I viewed Model Railroader's video Building Benchwork for the Salt Lake Route - Part 2. The video is available at: http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=3710 and unfortunately is only viewable to current subscribers.

Honestly, this is one of the simplest benchwork designs I have seen - and utilizes the tried-and-true L-girder method. What struck me the most was the ingenious folding leg design...great stuff! The entire benchwork article is included in the February 2010 issue of Model Railroader magazine and is worth adding to your reference library.

As an aside, I do not recommend this type of leg design for micro/small layouts as these layout types tend to be extremely narrow (usually less than 12") and would require legs that are modified to be wider at the bottom...forestalling any 'tip over' problems. My layout(s) are set on a shelf system, attached to the wall at a height of 50". Unfortunately when we display a micro/small layout, at a show, it resides on a table - which really puts it too low for a good effect...something I need to work on in the future.

Hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"