News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

trans former

Started by zachary4179, January 24, 2010, 12:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary4179

wold it be best to go buy a new transformer or use  the one i got  with my train set  that i got 3 years a go and  it a n Scale but i want to run a ho Scale if u now any thing please let me now Ty ?

HOTrainFan

I have an HO scale train set it doesn't use much power. But I probably would buy a new one incase it blows it (As in not explosion but not have it working anymore) I would probably buy a new one yes.

santafe

I recommend a Railpower 1300. ;)

Michigan Railfan

CNE Runner

N-scale power packs usually put out 9 VDC. HO power packs produce 12 VDC. While not overly significant; there is a difference of 3 volts. Use a multimeter and check the output of your N-scale pack. Personally, I would match the gauge with the power pack and shop around for a good used model. For DC use, I have always liked MRC units (I like 'em for DCC use as well).

On my micro layouts, I used a handheld unit that requires 12-18 VAC. The unit then converts this to a maximum of 12 VDC. The advantage of this type of arrangement is something called pulse voltage control (square wave pulse). This gives the operator enhanced control at diminished speeds...like start up (micro layouts are operated at very low speeds due to their small size).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Joe323

I'd recomend almost any MRC pack for DC. Pesonally I am using 2 MRC 280 Dual Cab Power Packs, which I think run between 12 and 18 volts (I think).  I have found that MRC makes quality products in Edison NJ (not China) which is near my home.