News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where to (re)start?

Started by DuceNova, January 25, 2010, 04:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuceNova

My plan is to build our layout around the Erie Lackawanna diesel era (with very few, if any, steam locos) which would be from the mid 1950s to the mid 1970s.

I have many questions in regards to how to set the layout up and what rolling stock to have included in it.

Layout:

Over 20 years ago (when my dad was still alive) we started a layout on a 12' x 5' table.  I understand that now that is not the way to go BUT the table is built and two loops of silver nickel track are laid down with cork roadbed.  It has a reverse track on the inside loop and four pairs of turnouts to get from the inside to the outside loop (and visa versa).

Each loop has four blocks and the reverse track is blocked on both ends so electrically it is quite complete (and all works which I have verified after a week of working on it). 

I guess my question is:  should I disassemble it all and re-build it in the more modern way of bench work?  The table is put together with screws so taking it apart is not a HUGE problem (just the time to take it apart, design a new layout, then assemble it is).

Locomotives:

Fortunately, I have very little that isn't EL and the ones that aren't EL probably weren't EL in the real world either. 

The majority of diesels I have are as follows:  three GP units in EL , one RS3, and a F7AB and a F3A all in EL gray and maroon.  I also have on Conrail GP that will either get traded or sold to acquire more EL locomotives. 

The steam locomotive are all non-EL:  PRR Rivirossi Mallet 2-8-8-2 that I gave my dad in 1978 which he loved but the motor is shot.  I'm in the process of re-motoring it and when done will probably rename it with Erie or Lackawanna names and numbers anyway.  PRR 2-8-2 that doesn't run well that probably needs a good cleaning.  A 0-6-0 that I assembled from a kit (which I believe was identified as a Toyco) that's unlettered.  Not sure if EL ever operated either of these models or not or if I'd use them anyway.

Rolling stock:

90% of what I have has some kind of Erie or Lackawanna or Erie Lackawanna logo or lettering on it.  The other rolling stock has name brands on them like Schlitz, Morton Salt, etc. on them which I think would be typical for a train inventory.  Would that be a correct assumption?

On the brighter side, my wife got me a MRC Prodigy Advance 2 DCC system for Christmas this year.  WHAT an adventure that has been!  There's so MUCH to learn but the value add is something else!  I've successfully converted three diesel locomotives to DCC so far and have actually run them successfully too!

Now for the $64,000,000 question:  how do I landscape the layout?  Buildings = towns?  So that it has some continuity to it?  I have a picture in my head of Deposit, NY (my home town) on the layout with Gulf Summit on one end and Hancock on the other and possibly Binghamton.  I don't want a ton of detail but don't want it too general either.

pdlethbridge

My first thought would be to make an accurate plan of the space you have to work with, and then create a track plan to fit it. Some things to consider are:
minimum radius
table height
type of track plan, ie, continuous, out and back or point to point.
Types of industries to have
and there are more

jward

erie lackawanna didn't exist until 1960. previous to that is was either erie, or dl&w.....previous to about 1965, the el used a black paint scheme based on the old erie colours. after that, they switched to the dl&w based grey with maroon band and yellow nose that everybody associates with erie lackawanna.

the new bachmann gp7 would be ideal for modelling el. most of them lack dynamic brakes, same as the majority of el's fleet. el also had sizeable fleets of gp35s and sd45s which are also in bachmann's line.

as an idea for your layout, the signature scene on the old erie was starruca viaduct. this would make a beautiful scene, especially with the d&h double track passing underneath. using the woodland scenics system of risers it should be relatively easy to rearrange your layout so that the mainline passes up and over itself ala starruca.....the mountain scenery will also make your layout seem larger
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

DuceNova

Types of industries:  Deposit had three "mills" alongside the tracks:  Delaware Mills,  GLF and Hinman Mills, a Deposit Creamery, Agway Lumber, Sinclair gas station off of Mill Street, and their bulk plant up by Agway Lumber, Vitalie's Market, The Mary Lou Hotel, and of course the railroad station (which I just got a kit for from the EL site).

So far the smallest radius I have is 20".  I tried to keep them as big as possible but 18" isn't out of the question.

The "type" of layout would be primarily continuous although point to point could be easily added to it.

I was hoping to put the Starrucca Viaduct into the layout somewhere as it is an IMPRESSIVE piece of engineering even today.  BTY, the primary design engineer for it was a man named Kirkwood (for which the town and township of Kirkwood are named).

I didn't find a GP7 with EL or Erie colors on it.  Did I miss something?

I made a CAD drawing of what I have so that's a done deal but thanks for the suggestion.  IF cash flow allows, I'd still like to get CADRail someday as from what I've seen on the internet, it is the cat's butt for drawing a layout.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas as it has given me some new goals.

pdlethbridge

try the free atlas software for track designing. get it here
http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

RAM

The Erie had 0-6-0s and they also 2-8-2s.  How ever is the 2-8-2 really a PRR model or is it just lettered PRR.  I don't think the Erie had any 2-8-8-2.  They did have 2-8-8-0s.  How ever it is your rr and you can do what ever you want.  As far as cars like the Schlitz, Morton Salt,and others.  Most of these were just to sell to people and not what the railroads ran.  This is not saying they wasn't.t any, but in Genrel they just put reporting marks one the cars like ppsx for Phillips Petroleum Co.

ABC

Quote from: DuceNova on January 25, 2010, 07:44:35 PM
No you would just have to custom paint and decal it.

I have several Erie steam engines including the Bachmann 2-10-0 ($55) (which runs pretty nice) and 0-6-0 ($30) w/ vandy tender. I also have an IHC 0-8-0 switcher that only set me back $30 brand new with warranty and she's also pretty smooth.
Proto 2000 makes PA-1s and E-8s in EL (1 sound decoder in each pair), I have both with DCC. I also have an Athearn PA-1 PB-1 set. And I have 2 of the Bachmann SD-45s in EL and I put a MRC sound decoder in one.

IHC also makes some DL&W steamers if that is what you're looking for.

jward

Quote from: DuceNova on January 25, 2010, 07:44:35 PM

no, they haven't made an el gp7 yet. you'll have to paint your own. i am pretty sure the maroon stripe is a decal, so all you'd have to do is paingt the body grey, then mask it and paint the nose and frame yellow.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Chris350

if you're going to go paint and decal route you may want to look through what microscale has to offer.  They often do much of the difficult part of the paint work easy with screen printed decals.  I do my Southern Pacific black widows and tiger stripers this way.  As mentioned it would probably mean only doing the base paint colors.  Any striping and lettering would be on the decal sheet.

pdlethbridge

Start small and slowly, no sense in making a bunch of mistakes that you'll pay for later. Get the planning done and think about it for a bit. Then make any changes you feel are necessary. Most importantly, it's your railroad and what ever you do it WILL be right. another important thing is to enjoy yourself, have fun, it's a great hobby.