News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

brand new engion

Started by zachary4179, January 26, 2010, 11:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary4179

does a Brand new engine has to be broken in if so how do i brake one in because i have a  Athearn engine that it runs a littel fast .

ABC

Run it at half throttle in both directions around a figure 8 set-up for about 30 min each.

zachary4179

does it have to be a figer 8 set up ?

ABC

Quote from: zachary4179 on February 02, 2010, 11:23:39 PM
does it have to be a figer 8 set up ?
If you don't use a figure 8 and use a standard oval then do the following run it in forwards for 15 minutes, run it in reverse for 15 minutes, take it off the track and change its direction, and run 15 minutes forward then 15 minutes reverse. However a figure 8 is a little easier and more effective at breaking it in evenly.

pdlethbridge

The advantage of a figure eight is that the wheels get to be turned in both directions on one lap of the layout. For an oval, it would be all right turns until you turned the loco around.

rogertra

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 02, 2010, 11:33:48 PM
The advantage of a figure eight is that the wheels get to be turned in both directions on one lap of the layout. For an oval, it would be all right turns until you turned the loco around.

For the microscopic amount of wear it's not worth building a figure eight when a simple circle is smaller and cheaper to build.

zachary4179

ok i see  for my next qweshion  i just orderd  bachmanns  DD40AX Centennial and it dcc do i have to run it on a dcc or can i run it on just dc ?  thanks for all the hellp

ABC

If you have a analog DC controller you may have better results if you remove the decoder and install jumpers, but it is a dual mode decoder and will work with DCC and DC, but will perform better on DCC.

zachary4179