News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 has not run in almost 20 years

Started by netaces2k, April 28, 2007, 01:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netaces2k

I've got a 4-8-4 from Bachmann the doesn't run.  The motor makes the noises of trying to run, but the rods and drivers don't move.  They don't appear to be stuck or jammed.  It was packed well and was in a taped up box, in it's original packings.  Any ideas...

Stephen Warrington

Sounds like a very old first run model. I would suggest calling Bachmann and sending them the locomotive and 20 dollars for a replacement. the old ones didn't run verywell in the first place and if it is as old as yousay it could be cracked gears dried out gearbox or one of many little demons.

Stephen

Hoople

I beleive this is one of the rubber tube driven locomotives. The rubber tube has probably disitigrated by now, and needs to be replaced. I beleive model aircraft fuel line will suffice. My grandad and I fixed an older Tenshodo northern with the stuff. It runs great.

You might also want to lube it.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

RAM

T enshodo and the old Bachmann are not in the same ball park.  There  is no easy fits for the old Bachmann other than park it for looks.  They do look nice.

japasha

If you like the locomotive, try a Bowser replacement mechanism. It is easy enough for a begginer to install and runs very well.
Figure out whether it is a Daylight or one of the other 4-8-4s.

pdlethbridge

If you get a bowser kit, get the valve gear assembled if you're not sure how to do it. It can be tricky.