News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Split gears on Shay and Climax

Started by sidecardoug, January 01, 2010, 01:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidecardoug

I got "hooked" on On30 by the Porters, and when the Shay, Climax and railtruck arrived, I was ecstatic - WOW!   Now,  I find there are serious defects with the ham -  handed assembly of slightly undersized gears
onto the shafts, and Bachmann seems to be like General Motors, denying
the problem exists......   Bachmann should take heed - NOBODY is "too big to fail" !    Until I hear on the On30 Conspiracy and other sites from folks I know and trust that Bachmann is SERIOUSLY handling these issues on a CONSUMER FRIENDLY basis,  I will not purchase any more Bachmann products.   I will content myself with "bashing "  HO  motive power from
companies that have a better "track record,"  and recommend to my friends that they do the same......   Why support a company that refuses to provide
a reliable product,  or provide decent customer service ??   ( I won't buy a Toyota or a General Motors product, either -  Subaru does it for me! )

BKJ

There has been a lot of discussion on here about that very issue!

I hope Bachmann doesn't bury their head in the sand and pretend a problem doesn't exist, as this is how many a great company have failed in the past.

You would think they would do some sort of press release stating that they are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it. However, the above statement could only be made if they had "ANY" intention of dealing with the "KNOWN" problem.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of failures they are having.

Kind of reminds me of Ford and their exploding Pinto's. They hired statisticians to figure out if it was going to be more costly to recall and fix the problem or just to pay out on the claims when they happen!

Time will tell but word of mouth can be very dangerous to a niche style company.

Let's hope they will give us news soon!

Silence is not golden but rather the kiss of economic death!

Linzthom

Aren't you Americans famous for getting lawyers involved with everything ??  ??? ???Surely there must be some sort of comsumer protection legislation for this sort of thing?
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

railtwister

Quote from: Linzthom on January 02, 2010, 02:50:14 AM
Aren't you Americans famous for getting lawyers involved with everything ??  ??? ???Surely there must be some sort of consumer protection legislation for this sort of thing?

Not for such small potatoes as the price of a toy train. Lawyers are only interested in getting involved in cases where they can rake in the big bucks, or at the very least get a lot of publicity for themselves. Neither of those things would happen in this case. Same goes for the legislators, many of whom start out as lawyers.

Just be grateful for those nice static On30 models of the Railtruck, Shay, and Climax, and salivate with anxious anticipation over the new upcoming ready-to-run (or not) releases.

That's how we do it in the US!   ;)

Bill

hminky

Since Bachmann will replace he defective piece of motive power there is no basis for a lawsuit.

Harold

JenSIE

Hello,

here in Germany we have these Problems too, it seems as if there where more
Shays/Climax with split gears than without!  :-[

It looks really like an error at the engineering!!!!
I hope that Bachmann will soon present  a solution, and not only exchange the defective gears!
I will not be a customer of Bachmann so much longer!  >:(

regards Jens

Anubis

That clinches it for me, then.

No Bachmann 'geared' On30 locos for me either, until the hassles are sorted out.

Cya'll   :-\

There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

El Loco

Call me lucky or what? I aint had no prob's with my shay and ran it since 2002. I havent over torqued the gears and used Labell 102 plastic compatable oil.  As far as Bachmann service, They have been Prompt &  very
curtious. Only to have to refer to their services once. Even with the limited warrenty other companies dont offer this service no matter what.
sorry to hear your woes..
Best regards.