News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tern out hellp

Started by zachary4179, January 28, 2010, 06:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary4179

ok i just bought a new engion house for my lay out but i dont now the best way to have the turn outs to go to it if i shold have a switch/turn out becus i never looked at engion houses be for i want it for the engion to go in to  can some one hellp me plesse  ty

CNE Runner

Zach - There are several species of Terns (Order: Charadriiformes, Family: Lardiae, Subfamily: Sterninae) such as the Least tern, Arctic tern and Sandwich tern. You probably are familiar with either the Common tern or the Fosters tern...very common on both coasts of the U.S.

OK...I guess I've messed around with you enough. Zach, do us all a favor and use reasonably correct English and reasonably correct punctuation...you aren't writing a text message. [BTW: there is a neat spell check function at the bottom of the message panel.] I will make a good effort to 'decode' your message.

Generally speaking, roundhouses required the use of a turntable. This has to do with the angle of the roundhouse doors and the incoming track. You mention an enginehouse...a different creature - serving the same purpose as a roundhouse (albeit on a smaller scale). An enginehouse 'houses' one or two locomotives and has (basically) straight inbound tracks. Because of the geometry and number of incoming tracks, an enginehouse can use a regular turnout. Enginehouses were located on smaller branchlines and, as mentioned above, housed a very limited number of locomotives. They also took up a lot less real estate thereby fitting smaller layouts quite well. I suggest you 'Google' both roundhouse and enginehouse to see the differences and the lead in track arrangement.

Good question,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

CNE Runner

FYI: Laser-Art has a really nice enginehouse that I would love to build. Unfortunately I don't have the space, on my two micro layouts, for such a structure. Check this (and other kits) out on the Branchline website at:
Ah...so many projects; and so little time.

Jonathan: Great idea of raising a structure with paint sticks. I'll have to try that. Roger the terns...they are smaller than gulls - so modeling them, in anything short of G-scale, would be difficult. Can you imagine painting each little bird?

Ray

pdlethbridge

I've done pigeons but not terns because it wasn't my turn

Pacific Northern

Quote from: zachary4179 on January 28, 2010, 06:36:49 PM
ok i just bought a new engion house for my lay out but i dont now the best way to have the turn outs to go to it if i shold have a switch/turn out becus i never looked at engion houses be for i want it for the engion to go in to  can some one hellp me plesse  ty

I read the posting, or rather tried to and thought it was bogus.
No one would really use such poor grammar or spelling today unless it was on purpose..
Pacific Northern

tac

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 29, 2010, 04:19:31 PM
Quote from: zachary4179 on January 28, 2010, 06:36:49 PM
I read the posting, or rather tried to and thought it was bogus.
No one would really use such poor grammar or spelling today unless it was on purpose..

Naaaaah, he ALWAYS posts like that.

I speak six languages fluently, and another four passably, and English is not my first language, but even I try hard to make sure that I can be understood on an English-speaking forum like this.

As for posts like those put here by the OP, I agree with you - nobody could accidentally spell that badly - IMO he's jerking our collective chains by posting garbage.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Larry

his posts are drying up now that people question it

BestSnowman

I don't know, I'd expect better of teenager personally though I can remember the feeling towards English class when I was in High School. The general feeling was "we already know english why do we need the class", in retrospect I wish I had paid more attention (actually that applies to most of high school, though with home economics I wish I had paid less attention... terrible teacher).

An FYI to the original poster, if I saw something like this out of a potential hire I probably wouldn't hire them so if you are a younger guy it would be in your best interests to improve yourself because it could affect your future.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

CNE Runner

I guess it was my tern to be the gull-able one. Perhaps I was remiss by grouse-ing about some loon's use of the English language...which drives me cuckoo. I will swallow my concern and attempt to follow the cardinal rule.

Incidentally, as an administrator in a past life, I once (OK...more than once) received a resume with 15+ misspellings on the first page! We relegated that resume to the 'circular file'.

I guess I've done enough crow-ing for now. Who is next?

Ray (just another old coot)

tac

Quote from: jonathan on January 30, 2010, 11:23:58 AM
You are a hoot, Ray.

Yeah, quit swan-ning around.  I'm duck-ing out of this conversation as of now.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

pdlethbridge

This is totally for the birds ;D

Tylerf

Being a teenager myself, I know it is very possible for someone to spell like that as I've seen it tons. I've seen posts on here where somehow no punctuation was used?!? How that's possible, I don't know but it happens allot. Just thought I'd throw my thoughts in there.

Cooped

In fear of upsetting a few people here I can't help but think this thread may be a little unfair to Zachary. One of the unfortunate things about communicating solely through written words is you gain little or no insight into the author unless they specifically tell you about themselves. It occurs to me that Zach may suffer from some sort of dissability in which case his ability to communicate with us should be commended rather than ridiculed.

I hope that if this is the case he doesn't feel too offended or humiliated and can come back to the forum for help getting the maximum enjoyment from the hobby.

Innocent until proven guilty?

Just my 2c.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

zachary4179

ok u all so im disabeld so i have bad puchuashion and bad speling i sall words like thay sound to me it dont mean u have to mack frount of me at all  and to be anest i think it is quit rude to mACK FRONT OF SOME ONE WHO CANT  SPELL WEERD AND MISS SPEL WORDS ALL THE TIME JUST BE CUS I WANT HELLP ON SOMTHING DONT MEAN U HAVE TO BE ROUD ALL IM  GOING TO SAY THE ONLY ONE WHO SEEMS TO BE HELLP FULL IS ABC AND THAT IS THE ANEST TRUTH . TY AAND HER IS A BIG KISS MY  *** AND  HAVE A NICE ******* DAY 

tac

Quote from: zachary4179 on January 31, 2010, 12:15:32 AM
ok u all so im disabeld so i have bad puchuashion and bad speling i sall words like thay sound to me it dont mean u have to mack frount of me at all  and to be anest i think it is quit rude to mACK FRONT OF SOME ONE WHO CANT  SPELL WEERD AND MISS SPEL WORDS ALL THE TIME JUST BE CUS I WANT HELLP ON SOMTHING DONT MEAN U HAVE TO BE ROUD ALL IM  GOING TO SAY THE ONLY ONE WHO SEEMS TO BE HELLP FULL IS ABC AND THAT IS THE ANEST TRUTH . TY AAND HER IS A BIG KISS MY  *** AND  HAVE A NICE ******* DAY 

Sir, thank you for taking the trouble to explain the reason for the way you post.  If you had done that in the first place, probably none of this would have happened.  We train hobbyists are a tolerant lot, in general, but like anybody else, when we think that WE are being made fools of by somebody who posts the way you do without any explanation, what else are we to think?

Perhaps in your first post, you should have taken the trouble to explain that although your spelling is a little weird, there is a genuine explanation for it, and without going into details that might embarrass you, just say that you have difficulty with a keyboard and leave it at that.

As I said, we are pretty easy going on this site.  My daughter is seriously disabled, but thankfully she is able to use a keyboard.  Others, like you, are not so lucky, but we need to know this so that we can make the right assumptions.

In my spare time, I teach disabled people to shoot - rifle, handgun and bow - and even my backyard railroad is designed to be fully operational by somebody in a wheelchair, like my daughter, so I am not unsympathetic.  However, your final words to us do not do you any credit, and you might like to revise your post accordingly - WE are not all to blame for our attitude - formed in ignorance of your condition, whatever it might be.

tac
www.ovgrs.org