News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tern out hellp

Started by zachary4179, January 28, 2010, 06:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Zachary4179  have you considered having your friends help you with typing in your postings ? English is not a phoenetic language and does not always make sense to every-one because of the way it has grown.   However, it makes it extremely difficult for the rest of us to understand your intentions if we cannot accurately translate your ideas .  None of us are telepathic or probably  wish to be , so misunderstandings through ignorance are inevitable . Sorry about your hurt Feelings  .    John  II

zachary4179

lwmlwm44

I think we all should be a little less quick to criticize folks on their posts.

I read the post and had no problems understanding what Zac was trying to say.   

I hope this doesn't keep him from future postings.

Larry

zachary4179

why thank you larry for u coment

pdlethbridge

Zac, you are not the only handicapped person here. I had a stroke, Yampa bob can't see and lot of us have foot in mouth disease.

klunker

I also have a turn out related question. I have HO scale Nickel Silver EZ track (gray base).

I have two tracks running in parallel. Towards one end I want to put a #6 crossover and at the other I want to bring the two parallel tracks together at a turnout.

Do I have to use a #6 turnout to connect to a #6 crossover?  What radius and length of curve do I need coming off the #6 turnout to bring the track parallel  so it will be the right distance apart to connect correctly with the parallel tracks running from the #6 crossover?

Also, can I connect from a #5 turnout to a #6 crossover and if so, what curve is required coming off the #5 turnout to get the track the right width apart to connect to the #6 crossover?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

My assumptions and drawings here were in error. 

Corrections below. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Klunker,

I was in error in my drawing and my assumptions. 

I will delete the post above.

The main problem was that I did not double-check the "offset" measurement from the main lines of the 2 different turnouts.   

Those with track layout programs or the turnout in front of them can check the offset of the end of the divergent route from the main. 

I am limited to looking at pictures of the turnouts (through blister packaging) and trying to measure with a ruler off my computer screen. 

As far as I can tell, with an average of 3 different measurements, the offset of the #5 is approximately 1.73".  I assumed wrong that it was closer to 2", making the curve impossible.

Our target is 2-3/8" center-line spacing on the #6 crossover. 

The offset of a 11.25 degree 22" radius (half) curve is 0.423"

The offset of a 12 degree 33.25" radius (2/3) curve is 0.727"

2-3/8" - 1.73" = 0.645", which is very close to the offset of the 12 degree 33.25"R curve (44509).

So, try the 12 degree curve with the #5.

The #6 divergent offset looks to be slightly over 2".  The only possible curve is 10 degree 18" radius (44530), which has an offset of 0.273", so it could come close to the crossover center-line spacing when combined with the #6 turnout.  Problem is, the 18" R curve lowers the minimum radius of your layout to 18"...

So, try the 10 degree curve with the #6.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

zachary4179

klunker

Joe,

The corrections are what I was looking for and it means I don't have to purchase random sections of partial curve at different radiuses and lengths to try and get what I want.

You've narrowed the choices right down. Thanks for the time and effort. I knew it could be done but did not know how to calculate it.

Joe Satnik

Geometry and Trigonometry - study hard

Doneldon

I have nine years of college, speak three languages fluently, have edited materials prepared by graduate-educated professionals and am a stickler for grammar and spelling.  And I'm ashamed of those who made fun of Zachary.  It's been obvious from his posts that he is not flawless in English; I thought perhaps he was not a native speaker.  I have to say, too, that I see very few posts on this board with perfect English and spelling, so maybe that adage about stones and glass houses applies.  At any rate, now he's been forced to explain that he has a language challenge.  Nice job, folks.  

I think Zachary deserves our collective apology for judging and ridiculing him (not to mention piling on).  I, for one, am sorry for the way you have been treated, Zachary.  I hope it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of our hobby or discourage you from staying on this board.  End of soapbox.

As to your problem, you can use a switch for a two-track engine house or even a small roundhouse.  Most of the basic kits I've seen start with three stalls.  If that's your situation, you can use a three-way switch.  It will save you a lot of money and space.

Hang in there, buddy.  There are a lot of decent but clumsy people in the world, even in the HO world.  

I hope this helps.
                                             -- D

pdlethbridge

Zach, I caught a glimpse of your question before you removed it the other night.
were you looking for one of these?
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/rix-628-0002.htm

zachary4179