News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 2-8-2

Started by ebtbob, January 30, 2010, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

There were a few issues with the Sunset EBT Mikes.  First, the detail was a bit generic - it didn't quite match any of the 3 locos.  All three had minor differences.  Second, on some models the valve gear was not assembled correctly and would bind up.  Third, all of the drivers were flanged, which limited the minimum radius.  The prototypes have blind center drivers.  Mine had no issues with the valve gear, and because I lettered it for my private road I didn't worry about the detail discrepancies.  I did take the two driver sets, chucked them in the Unimat, and turned off the flanges so the engine now easily negotiates 40" curves. 

ebtbob

EBTNUT,

WOW.....40 inch radius with blind drivers.   I could never be able to use an engine that big,  needing that type radius.    My two K27s from MMI easily negotiate 22 inch radius.   Fortunately,   they really do not have to do that tight a radius on my On30 railroad,  but I have tested them on my HO railroad to find the radius minimum.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtnut

Bob:  As I noted, the loco now easily passes around 40" curves, which is what I established as a minimum for my main line way back when.  I believe it will probably go around a tighter curve than that, though there then may become issues with the pilot truck wheels rubbing the back of the cylinders.  Note also that the MMI models were specifically designed to pass tighter curves, especially since they were done in both On30 and On3. 

glennk28

I would use caution removing flanges from drivers.  If the drivers are sprung the problems can come up when coming out of curves--the drivers are  forced off the rail head and all looks fine until the loco comes out of that curve--now the blind drivers are below the rail head, and if they cannot find the rail head, they derail.  This can be an expensive lesson.  Better way to gain a bit tighter radius is to add some lateral motion to the last driver set on inside-frame locos, on the middle drivers with outside frames.  I bought some expensive drivers--they wwere available.  On an older model they may not be--leaving you with a "park display" loco.  gj

ebtnut

Glenn:  You are right about the blind drivers with sprung mechanisms.  I did in fact have to insert a "keeper" plate to keep the drivers from dropping behind the railhead.  On the prototype, the blind driver tires are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wider than the flanged tires to deal with this exact problem.  The MMI C-19's in On3 that came out about 2 years ago have the extra-wide blind tires.  This solves the drop-down problem, but the extra width tends to bridge over the turnout points and create a short.  I'm thinking of trying some Bullfrog Snot on the back half of the blind drivers to see if that solves the issue. 

glennk28

I don't know how the BFS is as an insulator--if you can find the old PFM black lacquer they used with sound systems--or "Red Glyptol" lacquer from electronics store will be better.  gj

Mister Lee

I hate to say this, but this thread illustrates the problems that Bachmann would have selling "Big Engine" 2-8-2s like the EBT mikes and the larger D&RGW K's (As well as the Oahu Railway and Land Co's four ALCO 2-8-2s). Most of us, especially those of us who belong to such modular clubs as the Texas Outlaws and the Florida Renegades, don't have the wide curves to run these models.

I think that an Americanized version of Argentina's Baldwin-built Patagonian 2-8-2s would be a better choice size-wise, but I don't know how many other On30 folks would buy them. I would, but then again, I'm not closely following prototype accuracy and I'm not that provincial about "foreign" power (Even power built in the US and Canada!) as many of the old-time steam-heads were and many modelers still are.

Anubis

QuoteI'm not closely following prototype accuracy

A-Ha!

There is the exact reason why I ditched HO scale and took up On30!! ;D ;D

John

:)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

Dusten Barefoot

How about EBT #11 2-6-2. It's about time we had some EBT locomotives running around, after all we have all the others from the more major lines. ET&WNC 4-6-0, C&S 2-6-0, SRRL 2-4-4, two unknown roads of the 4-4-0s and 2-6-6-2. I'd really like to have a 8-18c 4-4-0 though haha. But anywho, EBT #11 would be perfect.

Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten