News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Car interior suggestion

Started by Anubis, January 31, 2010, 05:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubis

Hi guys,

I have just received my new Bachmann Saw Filer's Car, and apart from the other issue with the under-sized doors, (dealt with elsewhere) it has a very nice future on my On30 mine layout.

It was always my intention to fit it out as a bunk car, and I have since sketched out my idea for the interior. Remembering my old Army days, and the way they always seemed to find organised ways of fitting things together, I came up with this idea for seven bunks, all with storage underneath, and a kerosene heater at the near end.

The door at the far end is sealed, allowing the fitting of the seventh bunk, but could be made to open if only six bunks were fitted.

I will construct the interior on a separate 'drop-in' module, which can possibly be removed in the future, if I decide to turn it into a mess car, or a shower car, or an explosives storage car......you get the idea.

The car will have a removeable roof, and will be illuminated internally, as well as having a couple of illuminated keroene lamps hanging from hooks above the steps.

Hope someone else finds it useful ;).
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

James Thomas

Before you spend a lot of time putting an interior in your saw filer's car (which is basically a Plasticville hobo car) you might want to check out Banta Modelworks camp cars.  These cars are much more realistic, are closer to proper size, easy to build, and fit on Bachmann's flat cars.  There is a saw filer's car with extra windows that would show off an interior very well.

-JRT

gmhtrains

If you really want to detail the interior of a saw filer's work area, consider the Saw Filer's Shack available in O scale from www.rslaserkits.com, as well as other logging camp structures from this Oregon company.

Anubis

Hey guys,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will look into Banta and RS Laser Kits. :)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession