Bachmann EZ Command Control Center

Started by orangeman, February 01, 2010, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I have a (DCC)  EZ Command Control Center and 2 locos.

Every now and then a loco will speed up and go out of control with no way to stop it except by unplugging the power to the unit. It has happened to loco #1 as well as loco #2.

Then I can't get anything to work when I plug the power  back in even though the lights come on properly (no blinking).

Then I unplug it and wait about  30 minutes then  I plug the power back in and it works fine.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a defective unit in need of repair?

BradKT

I have never heard of this particular problem before.  Try reprogramming your DCC engines to work on a channel other than 3 (again if this is the second time you have done this) and see if you have the same problem. 

If you have a DC engine, run it on 0 (which is the default code setting on an EZ Command Control Center for DC engines) and see if you have the same problem.  If you have the same problem with a DC engine (as well as with your DCC engines), then the issue is probably with your EZ Command Control Center and you would need to have it serviced or replaced.

If, on the other hand, a DC engine works OK, I suspect that the problem might be with the decoders.  Are you using Bachmann DCC engines or some other type?

orangeman

I have Bachmann engines which came with the set.

I just tried it again and now there is no variable speed control. Engines run at full tilt, out of control. Have to use the stop button. Both forward and reverse is full speed.

I  have another controller which I had purchased to control switches and tried that running the engines. It works fine. But of course I can only control one engine at a time.

I fear it is a faulty controller and will be calling Bachmann in the AM.

Anyone know if they are speedy with repairs? The grandchildren are coming<g>.

ABC

I sent in a Bachmann GS-4 Southern Pacific Daylight and it was received by Bachmann in early December and they said it would be several more months, as they are extremely busy. So if you send it in now, right after everyone else sent in stuff they got for Christmas, it will probably return around May. However, it sounds like that you could have possibly done something that may have caused these problems, did it perhaps fall or get banged up at all, or did you plug things in the incorrect order.

BradKT

It definitely sounds like a faulty controller.  Take it back and maybe they will just swap a good one for that one if it is still on warranty.

orangeman

I talked to the retailer about swapping out the defective controller for a new one. They didn't  have one so they said to call Bachmann.

So I did. Got connected in short order to a tech in the Service Dept. A live person answered the call initially and I waited less than a minute for the tech to come on line. None of this press #1 for Swahili business<g>.

I described the problem to the tech and he said it sounded like a faulty controller. Just send it in and they'll replace it since it is under warranty. And be sure to put "controller" on the box so they know what's in the box and can expedite.

Now here's what is even more impressive: He said if it wasn't under warranty the charge would have been only $20.

Impressive so far.