News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Regarding Red Caboose Coil Car

Started by Michigan Railfan, February 06, 2010, 10:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Ok, this is kind of a product review, but its kind of not. I just recieved this for my birthday party today, and at first, I thought it was good. You have to put the weights in yourself, which I was fine with. So, I took off the coil part, knowing that that's where they go. The parts don't stay on as well now, ever since I have took it off. Also, the top handrails, or whatever they are, already broke. They randomly broke by my finger lightly running over it on accident. So, this is not the best car, but it is alright. Details are good, but it does'nt hold together well.

Joe323

Nigel

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on February 06, 2010, 10:27:05 PM
Ok, this is kind of a product review, but its kind of not. I just recieved this for my birthday party today, and at first, I thought it was good. You have to put the weights in yourself, which I was fine with. So, I took off the coil part, knowing that that's where they go. The parts don't stay on as well now, ever since I have took it off. Also, the top handrails, or whatever they are, already broke. They randomly broke by my finger lightly running over it on accident. So, this is not the best car, but it is alright. Details are good, but it does'nt hold together well.

You sound too young for a finely detailed model like Red Caboose (and InterMountain, Kadee, etc).
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

ABC

Did you buy the OHCR (Ohio Central System) one?

Tylerf

Really? I find these beutiful models, the see through walkways and full grab iron details! I never had to install the weights however I did remove the coil covers which was a little frightening but nothing broke. I was really happy with this model in comparison to my walthers versions with much less detail. However keeping in mind the coil car design in general from both manufacturers have very delicate parts, mainly the stacking braces that I too have broken over time on others. So I guess I'm trying to say it's not the quality of the model that's te issue(even though metal grab irons would be nice...) they are very delicate cars and by nature must be handled carefully! But there's nothing a little glue can't fix

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Joe323 on February 06, 2010, 10:59:44 PM
Do yu have a pic of the car?

Do you want a pic of which car I have (i.e. off the internet), or my car that i actually have (i.e. the one that I can actually run).?

Quote from: Nigel on February 06, 2010, 11:46:07 PM
You sound too young for a finely detailed model like Red Caboose (and InterMountain, Kadee, etc).

It's not that I'm too young for a finely detailed car like this, its just that the pieces are far too fragile, especially since you have to take the coil covers off. Just look at this ebay dealer's car. Pre-owned but never used. Even the same detail part that came off of mine came off of his just buy a little roughhousing in the box. Scroll down the page a little and hover your mouse over the little pictures to the right to see pictures of the car.http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-RTR-RED-CABOOSE-100-TON-EVANS-COIL-CAR-NS-169793_W0QQitemZ200433828169QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item2eaac98149
After all, reccomended age group for this car is 8 years and up.
Quote from: ABC on February 07, 2010, 12:05:05 AM
Did you buy the OHCR (Ohio Central System) one?
No, I have the CSX one.
Quote from: Tylerf on February 07, 2010, 12:07:55 AM
Really? I find these beutiful models, the see through walkways and full grab iron details! I never had to install the weights however I did remove the coil covers which was a little frightening but nothing broke. I was really happy with this model in comparison to my walthers versions with much less detail. However keeping in mind the coil car design in general from both manufacturers have very delicate parts, mainly the stacking braces that I too have broken over time on others. So I guess I'm trying to say it's not the quality of the model that's te issue(even though metal grab irons would be nice...) they are very delicate cars and by nature must be handled carefully! But there's nothing a little glue can't fix
They are beautiful models, its just that they're a little too fragile. I was happy with this car, except for the fact I had to put the wieght in myself, and that the grab irons were too fragile. But you're right, there's nothing glue can't fix. Except for the economy.

ABC

Were you the one that broke or lost part of the pantograph from the Proto1000 subway set?

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: ABC on February 07, 2010, 03:03:22 PM
Were you the one that broke or lost part of the pantograph from the Proto1000 subway set?
Ok, ABC. I know how this looks (I neglect my trains), but the pantograph was not my fault. My friend, first noticed that the pantograph was coming out. On his layout, a switch wasnt flipped, and the subway derailed. My friend was there to catch it. After that, while it was running, he noticed that it was missing. We figured it was from the derailment, and it most likely was, because it would'nt just randomly fall out while running. So, don't think that I neglect my trains, because I don't. I just have bad luck at times.

jonathan

Last year, I went to a train show (shocker), where a vendor had both the RC and the Walthers cars.  I had a chance to do a little comparison of the two models.  My impression is they are both great models.  The Red Caboose is twice as expensive.  I believe that is so because of a couple additional details AND they factory install the handrails.  Walthers helps keep their rolling stock prices down by asking the modeler to intall some of the finer details.  I'm a tinkerer so the Walthers model was right up my alley.  Here is the Walthers version with handrails and paint put on by my own two hands:

I'm not a perfectionist, but as a famous modeler once pointed out, if you run your trains a lot, it is hard to pick apart the details on a moving train.

And yes, I too knocked off that crane lift thingy part on top of the coil car.  But a little careful gluing and covering the cracks (paint), and I can't tell, or remember, which one pf the covers I broke.  These are really neat cars.

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on February 07, 2010, 03:08:49 PM
Ok, ABC. I know how this looks (I neglect my trains), but the pantograph was not my fault. My friend, first noticed that the pantograph was coming out. On his layout, a switch wasnt flipped, and the subway derailed. My friend was there to catch it. After that, while it was running, he noticed that it was missing. We figured it was from the derailment, and it most likely was, because it would'nt just randomly fall out while running. So, don't think that I neglect my trains, because I don't. I just have bad luck at times.
I was just trying to judge the delicacy of the product because I was thinking of buying an OHCR one.